Male line descent

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Male line descent

Postby Bast » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Sorry to be so vague--I should have paid more attention to this when I read it, but long ago and far away I read about a branch of one of the founding sire lines that did not go through Matchem, Herod, or Eclipse, AND which survived until the early 20th century.

Does anyone have any names to put with this vague old memory? 8)

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm

I too have that vague memory, probably something in print 30-40 years ago. The problem with the database is that if they the pedigrees of horses currently running, then only "live" branches would go back to the founders.

For what it is worth my creaky memory keeps bringing up xxx Turk. Now which turk it might be is the question.

racefansan
Newborn

Postby racefansan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:38 am

It's possible that one or both of you is thinking of Alcock's Arabian, but his male line did not, as far as I know, persist into the 20th century. TB Heritage has this to say about his descendant Aimwell:
"Aimwell won the Epsom Derby in 1785, the only sire line descendant (Alcock Arabian) other than the "Big Three" to do so."
Does that ring any bells?

parlo
Grade I Winner

Postby parlo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 am

As far as I know

http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Sirelines/SireLines.htm

lists any researchable tb-sire-line until its extinction.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I have the same vague memory. But like y'all it's been lost in the mists.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Could you have been thinking of The Brownlow Turk? I believe that ALL of the initial mares in the General Sire Book (UK) were all from Herod, Matchem, and Eclipse, but this Brownlow Turk was a grey horse. There was a woman who was a pedigree scholar named Lady Wentworth, and she determined that this is the same horse as Alcock's Arabian; it just changed names when it changed owners. Somehow AA/BT is responsible for a continuous line of greys in Thoroughbreds; maybe he is the sire of one of the original General Sire Book mares?
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm

majxmom wrote:Could you have been thinking of The Brownlow Turk? I believe that ALL of the initial mares in the General Sire Book (UK) were all from Herod, Matchem, and Eclipse, but this Brownlow Turk was a grey horse. There was a woman who was a pedigree scholar named Lady Wentworth, and she determined that this is the same horse as Alcock's Arabian; it just changed names when it changed owners. Somehow AA/BT is responsible for a continuous line of greys in Thoroughbreds; maybe he is the sire of one of the original General Sire Book mares?

No, this was a surviving male line lasting into the 20th century.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Here's an interesting forum from 2008 discussing it:

http://www.racecafe.co.nz/forum/printth ... 9269&pp=40

Scroll down and look for the post by Peter Jenkins. He says:

"All TBs today trace to just 3 unique sirelines - Godolphin Arabian, Byerley Turk & Darley Arabian. Other sires at the birth of the breed were Fenwick Barb, St. Victor's Barb, Lister Turk, Darcy's White Turk, Darcy's Yellow Turk, Fairfax Morocco Barb, and Leede's Arabian. "

Are any of those the one of which you were thinking? It was an interesting story that Jenkins told about finding the Godolphin Arabian's grave.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.