Businesslike, Busanda's dam

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Businesslike, Busanda's dam

Postby vineyridge » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I know Busanda was bred by Ogden Phipps, and I think I read somewhere that when he was getting started breeding, he bought quite a few of the mares from Col. Bradley's dispersal sale.

Was Businesslike bred by Bradley? Her breeding certainly looks like his, but there is no breeder mentioned in the PQ database, and the Jockey Club doesn't have breeders from that long ago on its online database. I'd the odds that she was were about 95% :)
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Yes, she was. :) Bred by Idle Hour Stock Farm Co. per ASB vXVIII.

I might have an article about the Bradley dispersal somewhere, I can check and confirm that is how she came into the Phipps stable.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Ah, here 'tis. :)

In the fall of 1946, the entire Bradley stable was sold as a package to a syndicate made up of Phipps, Greentree Stud and King Ranch for a sum close to $2.7 million. They sold off some of the horses and land, then divided up the rest amongst themselves, with only the stallion Bimelech remaining property of the entire syndicate.

Phipps came away with a dozen horses, including Businesslike, who was carrying Busanda at the time; Baby League, with Striking in utero; and future reines de course Black Helen and Bloodroot.