Legendra's 1968 foal

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

moonwalker424
Suckling

Legendra's 1968 foal

Postby moonwalker424 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 am

One of the chapters in the second "Matriarchs" book (by Edward L. Bowen) is on Legendra, the 5th dam of Zenyatta and Balance. On the page with her offspring listed by year, 1968 has a curious entry: "Bred to non-Thoroughbred."

Does anyone know anything else about this, such as what kind of non-Thoroughbred (a Quarter Horse? Arabian?) and why? Or did the teaser pony leap the fence that spring?

Mary MMM

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Legendra's 1968 foal

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:29 am

moonwalker424 wrote: "Bred to non-Thoroughbred."
Does anyone know anything else about this, such as what kind of non-Thoroughbred (a Quarter Horse? Arabian?) and why? Or did the teaser pony leap the fence that spring?

I like to think the teaser got lucky. :lol: But it's impossibile to tell. That's just the report as filed by the owner for the mare that year. Some didn't report non-TB covers, but many did. They are recorded in the stud books themselves, but not necessarily in the APRs. (Legendra's non-TB cover isn't showing up in any version of the APR that I have on disk.) The older (<1950) stud books show the breed/type of sire if that information was available. (Btw, before ~1948 Arabs entered in the ASB or GSB constituted registered cover.) I've seen QH, grade, Percheron, jack, Clydesdale, WB, Norman, et al. It was a bit surprising to see how many bt-producing mares were bred to non-TBs.

moonwalker424
Suckling

Postby moonwalker424 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks PZ.

I was hoping if the teaser didn't get a little, then Legendra maybe had a Quarter Horse foal and she might have QH descendants, like Secretariat's granddam Imperatrice does (she was an ancestress of Dash for Cash.) But if there's no more information, we'll never know.

Mary MMM

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:10 pm

She does have QH descendants. She and seven of her TB foals have been assigned AQHA numbers. But if she was ever bred to a QH there's no evidence of it in her produce record with the AQHA, not even a foal that never made it out of the appendix registry.