Crucero5 v. Sea Base?

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Crucero5 v. Sea Base?

Postby Heidilady » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:57 am

Both listed as 1941 full brothers to Seabiscuit. Did someone enter the year incorrectly? Is it the same horse? They both have progeny listed, both indicate that they've been at stud in Puerto Rico.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm

It appears to be the same horse. Sea Base did indeed stand in Puerto Rico, and the dam of the lone foal listed as being by Crucero5 also produced a foal by Sea Base. I could find no evidence that Sea Base stood under the name Crucero, but 1950's stud info from Puerto Rico is not exactly easy to find, so it's quite possible. ;)

A horse can only have one entry here as the site is not set up for an alt-name search and duplicate birth years get flagged as errors. Normally, the database rule-of-thumb for horses who underwent a name change upon export is to use the name they produced foals under, but given the lack of evidence (and the fact that most of the progeny is under Sea Base), I removed Crucero and left a note in Sea Base's comments regarding the possible name change.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks Lucy! Looks like Sea Base was one of the horses born of the success of Seabiscuit. They go 'you know what? Send his dam back to Hard Tack. That went better than we thought.' I didn't realize Swing On was the 3rd dam of Kentucky Derby winner Determine (sire of Derby winner Decidedly) so that was a fun thing to learn. This is what happens when I randomly look stuff up. :)
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"