Balladry

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Balladry

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/balladry2

Saw this guy on TVG today, He's a 2008, and looks black. However he's in the database as gr/roan . Someone want to take a look and see if he's just a very slow gray, or the color is wrong?

cissiny
Yearling

Postby cissiny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:22 am

He definitely look black from the pic in the database, not even any grey hairs sprinkled in his tail or face as it looks there?
But I would wait for a year or two, he is still very young and some start turning grey extremely late.

A friend of mine bought a solid pony (Irish without pedigree) many years ago, I think he was at least 8. Not a single grey hair. I think he was well over 10 when he suddenly started turning grey, and ended up a very true grey... I looked for a photo but could not find one right now...

Anyway, I would keep an eye on him but don't change anything yet. :)

Just my thoughts,
Cissi in Sweden

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:55 pm

You're not close enough in that pic. I'd say he had white hair on his shoulders and neck, and his whole face is covered by equipment... you can't see anything near his eyes, which is where grey shows up first.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

But he's a 2008 model. Shouldn't he be showing some gray by now? Live on TV he looked solid black, and very glossy. Won his race too. Equineline has him listed as gray/roan.

cissiny
Yearling

Postby cissiny » Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 am

Well, I don't know if you saw my post about some horses turning grey very, very late? The pony I mentioned was well over 10 before showing a single grey/white hair anywhere on his body and he became a typical fleabittten grey at old age...

Also, ElPrado had noticed grey hairs in his face, so I think that he is correctly registered here and elsewhere - with time he will surely be a typical grey :)

xfactor fan wrote:But he's a 2008 model. Shouldn't he be showing some gray by now? Live on TV he looked solid black, and very glossy. Won his race too. Equineline has him listed as gray/roan.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 am

Remember that UBS, his sire, was a pretty dark steel gray when he was racing.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Tue May 01, 2012 11:40 am

A number of Unbridled Song get are slow to grey out. One man I worked for had a mare that had barely started to turn at 5. She had a little bit of grey near her eyes and down one side of her neck from 3 to 5. Then she started a more typical pattern.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Interesting.

Two very different expressions of the gray gene. Tapit-= early fast gray, Unbridled Song = very late gray.

Wonder what the modifier is?