Young Emilius 1828 vs Young Emilius 1827...

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

cissiny
Yearling

Young Emilius 1828 vs Young Emilius 1827...

Postby cissiny » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 am

Oh well, right now I feel like banging my head into the wall or something... :?

First, I was going through "Stud Book Vendeen" from 1889, listing French horses born until that year (TBs as well as other breeds). I had two different "Young Emilius" in my own database, but Stud Book Vendeen listed only Young Emilius 1827 (out of Sal) as standing in France. Made things easier and I did some corrections here at PQ aswell, as the French horses by Young Emilius must be by the one out of Sal?

Now to the tricky part... Right now I am going through a book that lists the origins of French Trotters (lots of TB in their pedigrees) alphabetically. Now I'm at page 64, and here's Young Emilius... And here I have only one Young Emilius (SB Vendeen only had one Young Emilius aswell) but this book says that the one used in France was the one out of Cobweb...

Seemed like something that I could easily check out... Pulled up Stud Book Francais volume I to see which Young Emilius that was used in France and that was not nice *sigh*:

Emilius (Young)
Bay, born in GB 1827.
Sire: Emilius
Dam: Sal
Standing at D.R. de Lamballe in 1832-33, at D.R. de Lagonnet in 1834-35, at D.R. d'Angers 1836-37.

and....

Emilius (Young)
Bay, born in GB 1828.
Sire: Emilius
Dam: Cobweb
Standing at Haras du Pin 1835 and 1837, at D.R. de Saint-Lo 1836.

Can't find anything about either of them (as deceased or exported) in Stud Book Francais Volume II.

Well... Any ideas about how to sort their progeny to the correct sire? As for the TBs it might be possible through Stud Book Francais, but other breeds? I did definitely not think that both were exported to France and used at the same time...

Must make some dinner, and rest from the pedigrees for a while...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Best wishes,
Cissi in Sweden

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Both were indeed exported to France, Young Emilius 1827 out of Sal in 1832, Young Emilius 1828 out of Cobweb in 1834. Y. Emilius 1828 was by far the more popular sire. The only progeny I know of for Y. Emilius 1827 was named Rosabelle.

cissiny
Yearling

Postby cissiny » Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 am

Pan Zareta wrote:Both were indeed exported to France, Young Emilius 1827 out of Sal in 1832, Young Emilius 1828 out of Cobweb in 1834. Y. Emilius 1828 was by far the more popular sire. The only progeny I know of for Y. Emilius 1827 was named Rosabelle.

Thanks dear Pan Zareta! :D
I made the decision to add a new Young Emilius to my database, just listed as born 182x, have moved all the progeny (25 so far, last one born 1853) to that one. I'll go through the Stud Book Francais (the TB one) after this book, hopefully I can sort some if not all horses to the correct sire?
Do you, or anyone else, know when these two stallions died? That might help a lot... When I checked Stud Book Francais vol I and II I could only find them in the first one, and only where they were standing until 1837-38 or so, at least one of them should have lived far longer than that?
After this book, and the French Studbooks, I have a bunch or racing books to look through aswell, taking it very step by step...

Best wishes,
Cissi