Phantom mare to delete?

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Phantom mare to delete?

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Sat May 17, 2014 10:48 am

Hi, I was checking on MOLINOS whose dam was listed in DRF as Madam Hindoo. Molinos already existed here but his dam was shown spelled as "Madame Hindoo", with an E. No pedigree for her. However, I tried "Madam Hindoo" no E, and there she was (big surprise, sired by Hindoo), which says she is frequently misspelled with an E added.

Bottom line, when I clicked on no-pedigree-added-E Madame (the dam originally shown), whose format in Molinos' ped was incidentally no info, even est. date, she did not come up! As if she somehow doesn't really exist. Same if one types in the name for search. Same strange acknowledgement, but no actual choices, if I try the "Delete" option.

I wouldn't want that wasted database space if it is really out there somehow - could it be checked and deleted if possible?

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Phantom mare to delete?

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Spelling of names in vintage racing records is notoriously inconsistent, one reason it's preferred that names be entered here as they're recorded in the stud book/registry. The name of Molinos' dam is consistently shown as Madame Hindoo in the ASBs.

I'm not sure why but occasionally 'phantoms' of recently deleted records will show up briefly, before disappearing altogether, in pedigrees of progeny that were formerly attached to them. That may have been the case here since evidence of a previous entry appeared when I (re)created a record for Madame Hindoo.

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 am

Hi, no, I meant that Madame was phantom before I even did anything. Including attaching Madam to Molinos instead.

Anyway, now MOLINOS is locked. I would like to add more info for him. Is that possible?

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 pm

He's unlocked. Please feel free to edit. Thanks.

I didn't think it was you that deleted the previous Madame entry. When I was working on that entry I ran across some discrepancies typical of recent editing that you didn't mention. Figured a third party had also been working on the descendants of Molinos' 2d dam Little Madam and the old Madame record was 'phantomized' then.