Real Quiet soundness

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

lisamurf
Newborn

Real Quiet soundness

Postby lisamurf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:43 am

I am considering breeding my mare to a stallion with Real Quiet on his dam side. So :?: meone suggested to me that there is a soundness issue with his progeny. Is there any truth to that?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: Real Quiet soundness

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 am

lisamurf wrote:I am considering breeding my mare to a stallion with Real Quiet on his dam side. So :?: meone suggested to me that there is a soundness issue with his progeny. Is there any truth to that?

Hi there,

I've done some soundness research on my own, and didn't find much that points to him throwing unsoundness him as either sire or damsire. Quiet American , his sire, as a damsire produced a few progeny who ended up breaking down, but not many (less than 1% of my sample).
Real Quiet is the sire of the very good horse Midnight Lute, who did have three tieback surgeries.
Good luck!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 am

I've never heard that, are they perhaps confusing it with his own conformation faults and the fact he had surgery as a yearling?
This was one of the articles on him. Midnight Lute had breathing issues which prevented him from being able to run long.
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/horses/article44376087.html

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 am

He was known to throw crooked legs. When he stood here in PA several of his offspring had to wear braces to straighten them out. That being said, Midnight Lute is very straight as is his son Shakin It Up, and I had a foal by Shakin it Up who was completely perfect. I would not be turned off by seeing him as a broodmare sire especially if the stallion has excellent conformation.