Whos the better match?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Whos the better match?

Postby Shannon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:27 am

Looking at stallions for my mare, who is more suited on paper?
Mare: Jackson's Joy
Stallions:
Stephanotis
Vying Victor
Katahoula County
Yoonevano
Thanks

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:39 am

I like Seattle Slew son Yoonevano but he was unraced.
He gives you the female tail also.
but other members here can help you better.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:42 am

What do you mean by the tail female? I saw Yoonevano in the flesh, and I did not really like him. However, I was informed he was a twin (am guessing other one died since you can't register both?), and that contributed to his lack of racing career and conformation weakness (I didn't like his front legs, but his babies seem okay).

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:31 am

Shannon, Rowdy Angel is dam of Demons Begone, Pine Bluff, and Angel Fever (dam of Fusaichi Pegasus).

Regarding twins, this is copied from the rules of the Jockey Club regarding registration.

F. In the case of twins, each twin must be registered separately. The fact that the foal is the product of a twin birth must be reported on the Live Foal Report (see Rule 15). If both twins are alive, the birth of each twin must be reported separately on a Live Foal Report. When submitting the Registration Applications for twins, attach a photocopy of the Service Certificate to the second Registration Application.
Rocking H

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:19 am

All of these look like fairly interesting matches on paper for various reasons (I would probably rank Yoonevano on top in that area), so I would go with the one that provides the best physical matchup with your mare. All these guys have been around long enough that you should be able to see some of what they're throwing, so you'll have both the stallions' own phenotypes and observations of what they're actually passing to their foals to go by.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:38 am

Hey Shannon,

Looking at the stallions you have listed I am going to give you my opinion on them and their responses on the track.

Yoonevano:Hasnt been bred to real dominate mare's but has had some really nice runners in a limited amount on the track.He has some stakes winners and the one's that I have personally witnessed in the flesh are decent lookind individuals.Probably of the stallion's you listed the best value.

Stephanotis:A really nice race horse but in my opinion has been bred to tons of mare's and hasnt produced anything other than Notis Otis and I believe you could breed a stable mule to Sky Borne and you'd get a runner.I know he hasnt had many crops but for the money i'd wait and see.His yearlings have been well recieved at the sales and have sold for some decent money,but it showtime for him.They better start showing more this year.

Vying Victor:Has been BC's leading sire for the last few years.Good racehorse and has seemed to be a good producer of sturdy race horses and some real nice horses as well.He is quite popular and I dont know if you could get your mare to him.He stands for 5k and I am pretty sure he has a lot of mare's for this year.

Katahoula County: Really thought this one was going to light the world on fire when he first started out.Had a few precosious runners in first few crops but i felt he was a little disapointing the last couple of years.Another who has been bred to some nice mares and needs to step it up a notch.

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Shannon wrote:What do you mean by the tail female?

The dam line - bottom line in the pedigree. Yoonevano and your mare both tail female to family 8c. A foal of theirs would be 6s x 8d to Erin through her daus. Bold Irish & Ballyhogan. Family 8c has produced Icecapade, Ruffian, Demons Begone, Pine Bluff, Castle Forbes, Irish Castle, Buckfinder, Coronado's Quest, et al. Doubling up on it could increase the strength of the pedigree, but that would be a secondary consideration, imho, to how you think Yoonevano would match up physically w/ your mare.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:50 pm

Well...thanks for the opinions. I have her leased out for 2005 breeding, but am looking into 2006 breeding for myself. It is hard to tell if Yoonevano will match up because he is not really much to look at. I was quite taken by surprise when I saw him. I will go take a look at his foals this spring though, and see if I can get down to look at some of his yearlings at the sale. The ones I have seen seemed very nice, and my mare see,s to throw really good looking babies. I have 2 QH foals off her and they are both very nice. My only concern is the front legs as my mare is abit weak in the front end. Thanks again.