Stallion selection for my mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Pav
2yo Maiden

Stallion selection for my mare

Postby Pav » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:46 am

I'm in the process of deciding which stallion to send my mare to for the 2009 breeding season. Here are the details... The mare's name is Gloriousexcitement. She is a young mare by Honour and Glory, with an interesting female family that traces back on the damside to Natalma (Family 2d). I'm looking for a stallion in California in the $5K range (up to $10K). I'm primarily breeding to race, especially with the spiraling commerial market here in CA, but commercial appeal is always a plus.

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 stallions, but am open to other suggestions. My top two choices are Benchmark (with a reduced 2009 stud fee of $4K) and Marino Marino (at $5K). The cross with Benchmark looks solid primarily due to the success River Edge Farm has had crossing Bertrando (In Reality) mares with Benchmark. Regarding Marino Marini, who stands at Rancho San Miguel, this cross gives you linebreeding of 4m x 3m to Relaunch and 4f x 4m to Halo. I am leaning toward Benchmark based on the value at $4K.

I had my mare at Rancho San Miguel last year and had a good experience, but have never worked directly with River Edge. Anyone have any thoughts on River Edge in terms of mare care, prices, etc.?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thx,
Pav

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Gloriouslyexciting

Postby fastappy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Those are two good choices you've picked out and I agree that Benchmark has a lot of value at 4K. Consider Kafwain (Tommy Town) and Stormin Fever (Golden Eagle), and if you're really Brazen you could go with Gotham City (pretty tight breeding to Halo & In Reality).

I forgot to add that Russell Drake, Clay Murdock, and Dave McGlothlin are some of the best Farm Managers you'll ever meet. Russell stays very busy, but will return your call and answer all of your questions. Ditto for the other two.

I recently bred a mare to Tribal Rule and Russell patiently took time to discuss the breeding and answered all questions. With 155 mares bred just to that one stallion you can imagine he has his hands full. Day care at 24 @ day is up there, but Kentucky ain't cheap either.

I would physicall inspect the stallions and question the stallion manager about physical matchups or conformational flaws you want to avoid doubling up on.

Best Wishes!

Pav
2yo Maiden

Postby Pav » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks for the input. I didn't know that Kafwain was going to be standing at Tommy Town... has that been announced yet? Do you know what his stud fee will be? Good idea, I plan on visiting all the farms and inspecting the stallions before I make a final decision.

Pav

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Pav

Postby fastappy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am

It looks like (according to BH) Kafwain is still listed at 10K at TT, but TT always has some deals going on depending on the interest of the stallions.

If Benchmark matches up with your mare in terms of physical type you want, (he can throw distance, speed, disposition, precocity, etc.), he would be difficult to beat in terms of value. He was down to 50 mares last breeding season (I wish I had that problem w/my stallion) and just had a bad year. Benchmark has produced a G1 winner every year for the past 4 years & has 2 millionaires!

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:22 am

I personaly think Benchmark is a steal @ 4k & would use him as much as I could if I was in CA. I dont see anything from a pedigree standpoint that makes me think your mare would not fit with him. If they do from a phyical I would go with him with absolutely no doubt over Marino or Kafwain.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm

You might take a look at Decarchy. He would give you a 4x4 to In Reality, plus a double of Natalma through Northern Dancer and Arctic Dancer. There is some other interesting line breeding as well.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 am

And Kafwain is staying in Kentucky and not moving to Tommytown.

Pav
2yo Maiden

Postby Pav » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 pm

I finally decided to send my mare to Marino Marino for the 2009 season. She is down at Rancho San Miguel now and am hoping for an early cover as she is open this year. Based on my decision, I was wondering if anyone had any insights/pedigree analysis on this breeding... this cross gives you linebreeding of 4m x 3m to Relaunch and 4f x 4m to Halo.

Thx,
Pav