Biomechanical Types

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Biomechanical Types

Postby Patuxet » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 am

In his useful "Racehorse Breeding Theories" Frank Mitchell's persuasive chapter, "Biomechanics and Mating", contains lists of stallions categorized by the five biomechanical types. The lists were by no means all-inclusive and now, four years after publication, newer stallions undoubtedly deserve to be added.

Does anyone know where such information can be found? Does Mitchell maintain an updated site like Steve Roman's excellent chef-de-race.com? Or perhaps this is considered proprietary information and is available only for a price?

I'm particularly interested in the classifications for Affirmed, Wild Again, Diesis and/or his son, Elmaamul.

Thank you.
Archer

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:32 am

I used to get a newsletter or something like that from a company called Equix Biomechanics (or something like that) and they had measured many stallions and classified them. Not sure if they are still in business and I think Cecil Seaman may do something like that. You might try to Google either one and see if it is what you are looking for. Good luck.

Tonno100
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tonno100 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 am

I have no answers for you.

In the trade Elmaamul is known as "I'm a mule"!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 am

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:10 pm

Thank you for all your suggestions. I've privately been provided with the following satisfactory explanation:
The primary reason that there hasn't been more information about biomechanics widely distributed on the internet is that producing the stallion and mare evaluations is relatively expensive and is proprietary to the companies that own the biomechanical analysis programs. Frank Mitchell is a consultant with DataTrack which allowed him to include the stallion data in his chapter on biomechanics.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 pm

http://www.equixbio.com./knowledge.htm

This is the link to equixbio, which the breeder of Big Brown liked so well that he purchased the company.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks, xfactor. I used that link and on the site I learned that "EQUIX has a long-standing policy of not publicly disclosing the Phenotype of an individual horse during its lifetime."

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 am

Unfortunately, these services are not inexpensive, but I personally believe that they are on to something. Both of my mares were bred by Cecil Seaman, and I respect his approach. If a person has a valuable mare, it would probably be worth the investment to get a recommendation from one of these services to use as one more tool.

However, at the moment of truth, when you have to make the actual decision, sometimes your own intuition and experience will prevail over all of the systems, be it Werk ratings, or some biomechanics score. You need a good eye for the the physical match between your mare and the stallion, and then lots of luck.

Just my opinion.

Bedouwia

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am

I assemble possible nicks from True Nicks, E-Nicks and personal research and then I analyze them in terms of biomechanics When a pattern or cluster of phenotypes occurs I look for the same in any potential mate for the mare. Sometimes I discern a definite shift away from the phenotype of the stallions in the mare's pedigree toward its opposite or compensatory type. While conventional wisdom is to breed type to type occasionally Mother Nature seems to need to tweak or balance that.