Thoughts on Grey Dawn II inbreeding 3x3

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Thoughts on Grey Dawn II inbreeding 3x3

Postby Blue feather » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:41 am

I'm considering breeding a mare to Two Punch which would create a 3x3 inbreeding to Grey Dawn II. I'm interested in some opinions. The mare is My Yellow Diamond.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:17 pm

I don't think there has been much inbreeding to Grey Dawn with Two Punch, but he does have some stakes winners that were doubled to Grey Dawn II. These were out of Waquoit and Holy Bull mares. He has also crossed well on Great Above mares. Some linebreedings that have been tried and didn't appear to work too well were with Opening Verse, Jacques Who, and Confide, coincidently all related to Two Punch's female family.

Two Punch has not had much success crossed on Blushing Groom line mares. I am not aware of any SWs out of mares by Blushing Groom, Mt. Livermore, Housebuster or Rahy. If you try it maybe you will be the first!

hpkingjr

Herbager inbreeding

Postby hpkingjr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 pm

If memory serves me when I looked at Herbager inbreeding, I found 9 blacktype with Herbager inbreeding. 8 of the 9 were sex balanced. There are about 35 horses in this database with Grey Dawn inbreeding with one stakes horse from South America. No black type with the 2 from Two Punch

Lava Man was 5x5 Herbager:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/lava+man

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Nice catch, Hpkingjr! The database may not reflect it, but Two Punch has sired stakes horses with Grey Dawn linebreeding. The two that I am aware of are Bronze Abe, a stakes winner in excess $500,000 out of a daughter of Waquoit, and stakes placed Travelin Leroy, out of a Holy Bull mare. Travelin Leroy raced in several grade 1 races early in his career, and was thought by many to be far more talented than his record would indicate. Neither one is inbred 3 X 3.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Nice catch, Hpkingjr! The database may not reflect it, but Two Punch has sired stakes horses with Grey Dawn linebreeding. The two that I am aware of are Bronze Abe, a stakes winner in excess $500,000 out of a daughter of Waquoit, and stakes placed Travelin Leroy, out of a Holy Bull mare. Travelin Leroy raced in several grade 1 races early in his career, and was thought by many to be far more talented than his record would indicate. Neither one is inbred 3 X 3.