Mating advice for Danzig granddaughter

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

brown011
Suckling

Mating advice for Danzig granddaughter

Postby brown011 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 am

I have a mare, Decidedly Dear, blk type mare by Deerhound, that I am thinking about breeding to Straight Line, by Boundary? She has a nice big colt this year by Company Approval-don't know much about him as I just purchased the mare and foal.

Next question, I have another mare that I bred last year, Honoriffic, by Honor Grades, that I bred to Animo de Valeroso, by Pulpit. I was hoping the linebreeding of Weekend Surprise and Danzig might work? Any thoughts? Thank you for any advice!

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 am

Good luck with your Company Approval colt. Our trainers bred to him and got a big, strapping chestnut colt themselves! I'm a big fan of With Approval lines, but you do need to give them time to mature, as they are often later bloomers, who can often go "long" and on the lawn, particularly. With your mare's pedigree, it sounds like grass may be in your colt's future.

chicago78
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Mating advice for Danzig granddaughter

Postby chicago78 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:50 am

[quote="brown011"]I have a mare, Decidedly Dear, blk type mare by Deerhound, that I am thinking about breeding to Straight Line, by Boundary? She has a nice big colt this year by Company Approval-don't know much about him as I just purchased the mare and foal.

I guess you're trying to bring in the Missy Baba inbreeding, but you also get 3X3 Danzig, which may be a little close. If you want to breed to an Illinois sire, you can look at Fappie's Notebook, and still get the Missy Baba inbreeding in the 5th generation, and also have a little better chance for a sound horse.