Woth it ?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

mikec
Starters Handicap

Woth it ?

Postby mikec » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:07 am

Mare's name is tuleyries ( Waquoit - gramercy x Hagley ). Is it worth continuing with this mare ?
Bring 'em back tired ; but bring 'em back sound !

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:28 pm

This mare's oldest foal is a 2 year old, and she has a 2008 model. She is from a very nice family, and is a half sister to 3 - 4 stakes winners. Her half brother by Press Card was not remotely correct, and was voted least likely to start of that year's 2 year olds by all of us "experts" at the breaking farm :lol: He not only became a multiple stakes winner, I believe he is his dam's best runner.

Just my opinion, but I would give this mare a shot.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks Cathy,
That's what I thought as well. Done deal ; bought her an hour ago.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Congrats! I was going to say I thought she absolutely looked worth a shot. Nice deep family and she's still got plenty of time to prove herself!
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 am

Thank you Michael ! The previous owner had two years of horrible luck with her, which actually had nothing to do with her , and I guess he just threw in the towel. Has a nice 2008 congressionalhonor colt and a 2006 disco rico filly but is open for 2009. I'm on my way out to get her today. Of course it had to snow / ice up yesterday so it's gonna be a looong ride.
It appears to me that there are lots of different lines I can use with her so she'll be off to Ky. in January. Again ; thanks for your input !

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Tuleyries was picked up & delivered to her new home today. Previous owner had her locked up in a smallish stall for last week or two so she's a bit psychotic but this too shall pass now that she has huge pastures & stalls to roam.
Anyone care to express an opinion for her 2009 breeding ? Mr. P or Storm Cat are the no brainers here but an unbridled's Song might be a breath of fresh air ???

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Cherokee's Boy has an ad in this month's Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred. Nine ]9] each tripe didget Beyers got my attention.

Also, Limit Out in WV now has a $39k average earnings from starters for 2008 and 60% winners from starters. His lifetime average earnings per starter is over $60k.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Smooth Jazz in NY was one of only four sires in the US to have a starter in both the Kentucky Derby and Breeders' Cup Classic in 2008. Not a bad deal if you want to stay in NY and breed to a Storm Cat-line stallion!
Michael Slezak

Bargain Blueblood

[email protected]

917.455.0693 (cell)

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:44 am

If you want to Stay in the Mid-Atlantic (slots should improve the Maryland purses by the time your 2010 foal would be ready to run) and want to pick up the Storm Cat line, try Lion Hearted at Northview - you'll get a 4x4 cross of Buckpasser through two daughters and an A+ TrueNick.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:07 am

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions - and useful one's they all were. We have decided to book her to Belong To Me which may look ridiculous at first blush but ... think about it a second. What other son of Danzig has had any success with In Reality mares & particularly Relaunch ? The answer is none ...except for Belong To Me. How he'll like Waquoit is anybody's guess but it's worth a shot given the history.
That's it - all mares booked and I'm done ...YIPPEE !!!!

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Best of luck with the new mare! I was going to suggest Tapit, but see she is already booked. Another interesting avenue would be bringing in Turn-to, which Waquoit loved. Sweetsouthernsaint would be interesting for her.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:18 pm

Kudos Cathy !!! Sweetsouthernsaint was our alternate. I've been secretly dying to breed somebody to belong to me and none of our other mares fit . Either way belong to me is a few notches up from what this mare has been bred to before IMHO.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I would put Belong to Me quite a few rungs up the ladder for your mare, and best of all, he has a record of some success with the In Reality line. He also has Hail to Reason, so the Turn-to is there. Danzig has a lot of the old American strains (Fair Play, Domino) through his dam as did HTR, and Waquoit is loaded with them. This is a very interesting mating. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Exactly ... we think alike !!!