Would this be marketable in the US?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Would this be marketable in the US?

Postby Supernova » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:18 am

I'm considering breeding my mare Sweet Maria to Bold Executive for 2009. When Sweet Maria's 2nd dam was paired with this same line it produced a stake horse every time.

I am intending to sell Sweet Maria in foal in the November mixed sale in the US. Would Bold Executive be marketable there? Or should I look at stallions from the US?

Thanks!

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:38 am

If you are thinking the November sale, I would go commercial all the way.

I breed to race so I like the Bold Executive breeding you mentioned for the mare. However, the November sale is all about breeding to young Kentucky sires.

If someone gave me a dollar for every unproven mare with a great pedigree bred to a first year stallion in the November sale than I would come out with a fat wallet!!

Rarely, will you find a breed to race stallion successful unless they are the big guns like Rahy, Cozzene, Dynaformer.....who can get you a somewhat commercial foal that can run.

Thus, if you were staying in Canada I would say that Bold Executive is commercial enough and will also get you a great racehorse. However, I honestly feel that you will get more money if you breed her to a kentucky based stallion that is young.

Just my two cents and good luck!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:10 am

If you are planning to sell in Kentucky in November, you will greatly improve your chances for success by putting the mare in foal to a Kentucky stallion.

Bear in mind though that at this year's Keeneland Nov. sale, many mares were sold at or below the stud fee they were carrying. So you should factor in two things when you make your plans: how much you expect the broodmare market to improve in the next year, and how much additional cost will there be to breed to a KY horse and will you recoup that cost?

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 pm

Bold Executive will get no respect in Kentucky. Breed your mare to a young first year stallion, or an older proven stallion that stands in Kentucky.

That said, I love Bold Executive (have a broodmare by him).
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:56 pm

So my next question is, would I be looking at more of a profit saving money on shipping/boarding costs staying in Canada and selling in Canada or spending a little extra to breed in Kentucky and sell in Kentucky where the prices are generally a little better than we get here?

Her full brother won a G3 at Saratoga this year so I was hoping to attract an american buyer. I would also consider selling her privately.. or would it be smarter to go through a sale?

In the event she goes south to be bred, any suggestions for stallions under $15,000?

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:53 am

Supernova wrote:So my next question is, would I be looking at more of a profit saving money on shipping/boarding costs staying in Canada and selling in Canada or spending a little extra to breed in Kentucky and sell in Kentucky where the prices are generally a little better than we get here?

Her full brother won a G3 at Saratoga this year so I was hoping to attract an american buyer. I would also consider selling her privately.. or would it be smarter to go through a sale?

In the event she goes south to be bred, any suggestions for stallions under $15,000?

You'll have to get the sales results for the Canadian mixed sale for in foal mares and that stallion and see what the prices were.

Keep in mind, now is not a good time to be selling.

If you breed in KY, just look for a first year stallion standing at a very big farm with lots of marketing; a top notch physical; who had speed; and that won at 2 and I am sure you will be fine at the sales.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:22 am

In my opinion, I think you'd probably be better off saving some expense and breeding and selling her in Canada. The market for broodmares is extremely tight right now--no one is buying unless they see something they absolutely can't resist and it comes with a bargain price.

Keeneland buyers will like the fact that your mare's full brother won a G3 at Saratoga but with a 9 YO mare, the most important thing will be her produce record. I know the records on this site are often incomplete. but I didn't see any progeny listed for her. If she has none, or if she was bred to non-TB stallions, or if she has offspring who have not raced, or have not won--all these things will be held against her.

I would think long and hard about whether it's worth it to absorb the added expense of breeding and selling in Kentucky with a mare that might only end up bringing stud fee.

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, she does have an "excuse" as to why she hasn't produced a foal but I guess that doesn't really matter to a perspective buyer. I should mention she is in foal now to Strut the Stage and I will only consider breeding her in 2009 if she has a healthy foal.