Reasonable choice for this mare?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Reasonable choice for this mare?

Postby justinnich » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 pm

We have set up to breed our best mare Masseuse (Dynaformer x Pedicure) to Bernardini next year. I'm hoping that Bernardini will start strong and give us some commercial value (and that the economy will be improving around the time we'd have a weanling or yearling to sell), but I'm wondering also if you folks have any opinion on what a foal might offer as far as racing is concerned (distance and surface are both a bit mixed in the pedigree). Also, considering we will have another decision to make before we do anything with this foal, who would you think of sending Masseuse to next to help build her profile? I know I've asked about her before so if you'd rather not look again, I don't blame ya, but I just want to gather as much input as I can with this mare.

Thanks for your time and any advice you can offer,
Justin

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:08 am

If you can get back to him, I'd go for another round with Bernardini and hope for a colt.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Given the turf ability and Dynaformer, I would be looking at building on that foundation. One option would be Johannesburg, who shares the same tail female 6 generations back (Romanita) if you like the idea of inbreeding to quality females.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.