Between two stallions

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Between two stallions

Postby helen in FL » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 am

Forget what I said about turf to show. What would be the most commercial cross for a breed to sell foal as a weanling? Cowtown Cat or Wildcat Heir to my mare?
http://www.pedigreequery.com/cranberry+island

I am pretty much wanting to stick in Journeyman Stud as I want to take another mare to Sweet Return (GB) this way I can haul the girls together.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm

This may not be what you want to hear but you are going to have a hard time producing a commercial foal out of that mare. Though beautifully bred, she is 20 years old and (if the info on this site is correct) in her numerous attempts, being bred to very good stallions--Dixieland Band, Gulch, Lyphard--she has yet to produce anything of note.

Judging by amounts earned, none of her foals raced in particularly good company. The best of her 5 winners worked pretty hard for their money: $86,000 in 42 starts, and $63,000 in 78 starts. 3 foals won once in their careers; an additional 7 either didn't win, were unraced, or their records are unknown.

Most weanling sales are to pinhookers, who make very stringent demands when it comes to the race prospects of their purchases. They're looking to hit the home run, not buy a weanling who might be able to win a race or two someday. In the current tight, tight, market it's hard to see how breeding this mare would be a money-making venture.

st. louis kid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby st. louis kid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:10 pm

If you have to breed her, I would go with the first year sire Cowtown Cat if you plan on selling the weanling. I have to agree with LB however, in the current market, you are probably going to lose money if you are paying a stud fee for either of these. At the just concluded Jan. mixed sale at Keeneland, a weanling out of a typical mare like this was selling for $1000 to maybe $10,000 if by a lower level stud. Go to Keeneland web site and go through the sales results and look at some of the mares pages on the last few days of the sale, you will get an idea where the market is. Really tough to make money breeding a horse to make a profit today.

st. louis kid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby st. louis kid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Recents weanling results for Wildcat Heir.
Keeneland Nov. 08
Hip #
2306-$2700
3063-$9,000 RNA
3492-$19,000 RNA
4496-$8,000
Jan. 09
Hip 1765-$1,100
And by the way, I think your mare has a nice pedigree, her dam was a great producer, can get any kind of runner out of a mare like this even at 20 years old. Tough market though to sell.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Thank you all, it was exactly what I needed. I have limited options with this mare.