Looking for KY stallion for Seer of Gold

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

noworriesfarm
Yearling

Looking for KY stallion for Seer of Gold

Postby noworriesfarm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:32 am

One of my favorite old girls is going to KY this year (probably for the last time, she's getting on in years- but in great shape). The foal will be kept and raced in the LA program. Stud fee up to 15k. Want a proven sire.
Seer of Gold http://www.pedigreequery.com/seer+of+gold

She was a durable runner (59 starts) and at least 2 of her foals have raced up till age 8. So we are looking for a sire that will reinforce that. Her 4yo by Boundary (Five Foot Mike) has just won 2 in a row and is just hitting his stride (has very good speed).

Ideas so far, I really like Pleasant Tap, at 12,500.
Other ideas - Langfuhr (she has done well with Danzig sons)
Sky Classic
Pleasantly Perfect
Jump Start (was mentioned to me by the owner, but soundess issues?)
Successful Appeal

Thanks for any advice from all on this board.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

Your inclusion of Successful Appeal on your list suggests that you're willing to introduce another strain of RAN, even though he is fifth generation there. If that is the case, why not consider Birdstone?

1. He is 10k and Successful Appeal is 22K
2. He introduces dirt speed as does SA. Dirt speed is certainly what you need in LA (DeD and EvD)
3. I don't know the physicals on your mare, but Birdstone seems to throw handy, helpful at DeD.
4. He's off to a pretty good start at a reasonable fee.

The fact that your mare is 3x3 RAN and durable is good to see.

Good luck

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:12 pm

What about Lost Soldier? Brings in the Danzig which you have had previous success with and provides an additional cross to Princequillo, which to me is never a bad thing.

Chuck

noworriesfarm
Yearling

Postby noworriesfarm » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:34 am

I've always been amazed with the soundness of this mare and her offspring with the 3x3 Raise a Native in her pedigree. ct, I'm glad you brought up the problem of the extra strains of RAN with Successful Appeal. While reviewing Seer's offspring PP's, the filly by Brahms (who is out of a Mr. P mare) broke down after 12 starts, when she was just starting to get going. So I think we better stay away from anymore RAN.

pleasantcolony
Weanling

Postby pleasantcolony » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:06 pm

I also love Pleasant Tap and Sky Classic with your mare as well as you. I looked it up on Werk Horse and horses that are bred on a similar cross as that you would have with Pleasant Tap and Seer of Gold include Pleasant Hill, Palmerio, Creaseinherjeans, Buff, Tappin for Gold and Kettle Hill.

As with the Sky Classic/Seer of Gold cross, some of the horses include Sky Conqueror, Thornfield, Sky Alliance, Classic Par, A Classic Life and See Me Through.

Another that I like with your mare is Nobiz Like Shobiz. Stakes winners from that cross include Albert the Great, Albertus Maximus, Go Now and Poker Brad. Fleet Indian, Flower Alley, High Yield, Storm Song, Surf Cat and Strategic Maneuver also have similar crosses.

Best of luck to you on whomever you choose and please let us know.