Breed or leave open?Main ? most regional breeders are facing

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

foxtale
Maiden Special Weight

Breed or leave open?Main ? most regional breeders are facing

Postby foxtale » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 am

I think some folks in PA (and elsewhere) need to take a good looooooooong look at their broodmare band and decide which mares SHOULD be bred. UPGRADE your mares. If you are looking at a 12-15 yo mare who has had 7 or 8 foals and hasn't produced a runner....she needs to go!

It is NOT going to save you money leaving a GOOD mare open . It costs money to feed an open mare. BREED her. Just get rid of the junk. That is what is going to save you money. We are and always have been, a breed-to-race state ... and few stallions standing in PA have been commercial.
Now KY is forced to do the same, since commercial ability is down and as I read elsewhere on this board,and witnessed in person, even most KY stallions offspring are not bringing much more than 5K at the sales...

So...my advice is to you folks...

1. Breed to race, within your budget.
2. Look for the best values (pedigree, past performances in both sire and dam and their produce, durability etc.)...this does not always mean a so-called 'PROVEN' sire.
3. Don't have false expectancies when it comes to some of the newer stallions coming into the state with HIGH stud fees and think you will hit a home run at the sales.
4. ALSO...read the red-tape attached along with the breeding incentive deals offered by some farms.... It is NOT worth giving away half your breeders awards for a $4000 stud fee.
Let us help you to take advantage of lucrative PENNSYLVANIA Bred Breeding and Racing Incentive Programs worth over $20 MILLION annually.

Standing in 2010: www.foxtalestud.com
CAPITANO
RUBIYAT
SMART GUY

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm

well put.............
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

LB
Eclipse Champion

Re: Breed or leave open?Main ? most regional breeders are fa

Postby LB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:13 am

Your post has a lot of merit, but this line...

foxtale wrote:...even most KY stallions offspring are not bringing much more than 5K at the sales...

...just makes me go :?: :?: :?:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:26 am

LB, perhaps the poster was referring to KY sired offspring selling at the mid-Atlantic and New York sales, and to the average or median price. There will always be exceptions. But the last few sales have been pretty awful. I think anyone, this year, who is breeding to sell should take a long hard look at things.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 am

Good points, foxtale and ones all of us (small breeders) should heed.