Would you and to who?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Yep, BTA's stallion page does say $5k LIVE FOAL; however, it also says "payable Sept 1 of year bred"

Again this is a old stallion and I recommend that you try to negotiate a "payable when foal stands and nurses" amendment to his contract.. O'Sullivan does have other nice stallions and you would probably be offered a 2010 make up breeding to one of those if you do not get a live foal out of this cover and BTA is not available next year. However, I would still try for the "payable when foal stands and nurses" .

Also, BTA's stallion page says he has a life time avearge earnings per starter of $83,705 which is very competive with anything in KY, if you take Curling out of the equation. However, the February 2009 Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred magazine says his average earnings per starter for 2008 was only $18,760 which is not at all impressive..

I was looking at another Mid Atlantic stallion late last year that posted a life time average earnings per starter in the around $65k but when I looked at his 2008 average earnings per starter it was only $13,269. additional investigation revealed he had produced one very good hourse which won $3 million plus which gave him very high average earnings per starter stats as long as that horse was running [starting].

If you are interest in looking at 2008 average earnings per stater numbers of the Mid Atlantic stallions you are considering, find a February 2009 edition of Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred magizine and turn to page 70.

Good luck and I hope to see you at Colonial Downs this summer.

griff

PS: Check out the pedigree of my 2009 NFL colt named Griffin's Folly. I especially like the 3S x 3D to Numbered Account.

g
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Why does his age determine why she should seek other payment options?

If he's not stopping his mares they'll let her know after a few covers and she's not out anything.

Happy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Happy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Black Tie Affair is not breeding this year.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:38 pm

That's a shame. Like it was said before, if age is effecting him, the farm will let breeders know.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:04 pm

This must be a fairly recent decision then: http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/index.php?topic=32086.0

So is he pensioned or just done for the year?
Also did the stallion Diligence die? Stallion directory online last said he was at Hartley/DeRenzo in Florida but the site says nothing about his where abouts.

BTA and the Va stallion Up Periscope (who knows where he is now, but is supposed to be a nice specimen) are ones I liked because of the nicking stats... then someone PM'd about Irish Road in Florida. Back to the drawing board I guess :( Maybry's race record draws me to him. Lord knows how you all make the choice when there is so much, almost too much, to choose from sometimes.......
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Going back to your thread title, I wouldn't.

But if you're going to, then an interesting choice (on paper at least) might be Real Quiet in Pennsylvania for $7,500.

One of Quiet American's best, Cara Rafaela, was out of a Spectacular Bid mare. In addition to being a top class runner Cara Rafaela is the dam of Bernardini.

So it might be worth breeding a Spectacular Bid mare to Quiet American's Kentucky Derby winning son Real Quiet. While not a big success at stud, Real Quiet has shown he can get a big horse like Midnight Lute or Pussycat Doll.

You'd have to take a long look at how they matched up physically though.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:01 am

Real Quiet is a good recommendation; however, if that is your decision I recommend you investigate how to make the foal a PA BRED as I don't think there are any state incentives for PA Sired foals..

Real Quiet had a average winnings per starter of $24,547 in 2008. And, 43% of his starters were winners in 2008.

Perscope is not listed in the list of 65 Mid Atlantic Regional Leading Sires in 2008.

griff

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Up Periscope was at VA Tech's MARE center. Then I think he was given to someone else in Va. But I , for my own personal reasons and observations, really have wanted to stay away from any Unbridled's Song progeny. He would have had to be almost perfect in the flesh for me to really consider that cross, but I was being pushed hard on him. That and he is out of a Spend a Buck mare.

I have never wanted to breed to just put another horse out there, so that is why I am both hesitant and expectant to breed this mare. I know I will attempt the cross of the filly I had. She was the first horse to leave me speechless, and that is a feat. But I thought one more for my race training pursuit would be interesting. Not to mention that if I ever find myself having to collect cans to keep my animals I would.

I do like the affinity (that I am told of) of Real Quiet's bloodlines and Spectacular Bid. So I will have to look closer at him. I also found another cross for the same reason in a WV stallion, Medford, who is available for 1k. For us a an excellent physical cross will transcend the fee differences. But I can't help but hold out hope Medford sparkles in the flesh lol! :wink: I guess I am just scared of making the wrong choice, even if all I get is trail horse I would be happy, but full of what if's. :roll: :)

Bid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Bid » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Spex- you know I'm a Bid fan. When I researched my Bid mare a few years back, the best mix was the Slew line- especially through AP Indy. Danzig was second and I like both since you have Lyphard on the dam side. I remember a fun horse from Monmouth named Spectacular Slew. It was Tsunami Slew on top and closed late on the turf- my kind of racing.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

LOL, I thought Slew would be a good mix too, but these darn nick mixes keep changing! (Which I know can and does happen) About 15 months ago Danzig and Slew with Bids were A's...now they are B's. My own deceased filly's cross went from D to C. And now I am getting A's and A++ with Unbridled, In Reality, and Miswaki amongst others! :shock: I may just toss out this nick stuff entirely and go with my simplified A) do I like what I see and does it compliment well and B) does the stallion's races and race record fit into what I project I would like to breed for? (knowing that even the best laid plans self destruct )

Probably by the time I get done looking at stallions now, it'll be next season I attempt this and the one I go for will have been shipped to Japan. :lol:

leveeguy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby leveeguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Hey Spex, I would suggest calling the O'Sullivan folks about Black Tie Affair. Last thing I heard -- and it may no longer be valid -- was that his book was going to be limited this year.

Since you mentioned Medford, you may want to check out two other Meadowlake stallions standing in the Charles Town area: Meadow Monster at O'Sullivan and Luftikus at Naylee.

As for Real Quiet, some of his offspring have been known to inherit his tendency to paddle. Of course, some can really run too.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Luftikus is at Taylor Mountain [John Casey]

A big straping j horse that throws good lookinbg foals.. I think he was in the money every time he ran.

griff

leveeguy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby leveeguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks, Griff.

Luftikus is also showing he can get some very strong W.Va-breds. His offspring have done fairly well in the West Virginia Breeders Classics.

The W.Va-bred Meadow Monsters should start showing up soon. He previously stood in Maryland (Northview, I think).

redhott
Newborn

Postby redhott » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:12 pm

You can breed to this stallion for $1000

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 am

lol, he is a bit far out of my mileage range red! :wink: I am going to check out the boys I settled on this weekend in WV, so I hope to make my decision that I am sure will be laughed at soon! :P

Thanks for all the suggestions!!