Would you and to who?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 08, 2009 8:57 am

Not yet, her gyno ( :lol: ) is this coming Tuesday, so if that's good, she'll be on the trailer taking a ride north as soon as Green's farm says bring her. When I got this mare we nick named her skeletor, definitely not the horse in the flesh I thought I was landing, but even over these few weeks of turn out and excerise she is looking like something I would present to be bred. Of course I also worked for 16 hours on trailering with this horse so we have been doing tons of remedial lessons, something I did not expect a 10 year old to need, but she's smart (sometimes too much so), and apparently the answer to get her to do things in the past was drug or force. Both of those things do nothing in the end truly. But thank god my 2 year old has been an absolute angel to make up for the time I am spending with Biddy. :)
hmmm so what's going to happen after I post she's been bred... everyone comes out and says "Oh no that was an awful choice !!" lol!! ??? She had one filly over a year ago via AI, warmblood cross, so the live cover should make her happier to go through that again!! :shock: I never pictured myself in this position (breeding) and had I not lost my 3 year old none of this would be happening, so I am scared to DEATH... so many unknowns.... a lot of time spent with my nose in books and magazines. I really need a "What to expect when your mare is expecting" how to guide!!!! :oops:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 08, 2009 9:07 am

Oh here .... the process of trying to bring her "sexy" back HAHA!!

Three weeks later:

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Hope that all goes well -- she is lucky to have you. Love the pictures, and the obvious improvement from the TLC.

Bedouwia

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Spex just in case you get a sporthorse offspring from her one day, or decide to ride her some, a bit of trivia. The mane that hangs to the left is like being a lefty. Most hang to the right. When you get to doing dressage like things [ 20M circles of course] the stiffer side will be opposite than most horses... :)

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun May 10, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks Bedouwia! Work in progress.....

That is really interesting Diane... are you sure that doesn't fall under the thread 'Misconceptions about horses???' lmao .. :lol: :P jk jk jk!! Seriously though I am going to search about this on the net! I certainly know horses have a penchant for going one way (esp when you start longeing them). So does it also translate like right/left handedness for people as to which sides of the brain do what better? Man why can't I ever just get a plug who is like da dumpty dum about themselves!!! :P I always get plugs with issues rofl! (oh I also say the terms nag and plug affectionately :D )

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Well the vet says the foal factory is ready for operation lol! So hopefully barring any crazy stuff she'll have a date with Green Fee next week when she cycles in as normal. Of course I am still going to check on the whole lack of progeny on the ground for him backstory. Maybe he just isn't one of those lucky 'fruitful' guys ! :oops:

Oh thanks for the whole sidedness stuff too. It has led me into the world of whorls and personality. :lol: Sad thing is I am actually nodding in agreement to much of it lol!!!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Green fee

Postby Joltman » Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi Spex

I was following the thread with mild interest then it happened that I may have the chance to acquire a mare (now in the state of Wash.) that could still conceivably be bred this year. Not having seen Green Fee or known much about him, as he is a Northern Dancer line stallion he might go well with the mare I'm looking at (I'llmakeyoufamous) who is by Defensive Play (Fappiano - Mr. P). So the ND - MP cross could come into play.

So, what are the factors that came into play when you bred to Green Fee (other than close by!) What can you tell me about him.

Are you still upbeat about the assessment?

any info you provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

jm (aka bob)

by the way, I am down in the Charlottesville area.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Sorry Jolt for the delay.... Colonial opened up this week and it's been crazy since it is my first year as a trainer there ... I never seemed to have everything I needed so I was running around like a chicken with my head chopped off.....but I digress.... :oops:

Green Fee is an exceptional animal. He has a presence that pratically commands your attention. His conformation was a very nice match to my mare and very pleasing, with nice bone. He wasn't some blazing nut either and I understand all his babies have good minds and dispostions. I don't like silly horses for the sake of just being silly, or excused as hot. I have been around too many that can be intelligent without making me worry how they will inflict some kind of injury on themselves. Being that I have a particular fondness for Spectacular Bid broodies, I don't think a lot of common sense and patience flows from that side so I need a sire who can inject that. Seems he may do just that. His babies that I saw from a day old to 3 years old, were fine specimens. I can't say that he really stamps his babies, but I really would prefer a blending of the pair as opposed to a clone of one or the other ( I know I am probably in the minority in that thought).
I prefer a horse to have raced a good deal and to have stayed sound to retirement. I don't debate the love some stallions get for weak careers (few races as opposed to winnings) and then go to the shed b/c of injury, but that is not a direction I would go. So he fit there.
He nicks well with my mare. I don't buy the whole nicks make a horse thing, but they are based on some history so I think it is a consideration to increase one's chances of a nice horse. I do buy into the large heart quite a bit more. I think it only makes sense when you talk about true athletes that they are designed as such, and he measures in the 140's...excellent.
I wanted a horse with more of a classic pedigree. I think that also suits my mare better. And he posts classic distance. And seems to be a lover of turf (as am I lol) :lol:
Here are links to a couple pictures. Mind you my farm pic is horrid and does no real justice, but a picture doesn't tell that many tales even if it is taken poorly :wink: .
I am sure I am leaving a zillion little things out but my tired mind can't think straight this week. If I think of anything more I will definitely add to this.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/depbel/greenfee.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/depbel/P4250433-1.jpg

Matchemforever
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Matchemforever » Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am

It's been noted before that your mare has an interesting double of War Admiral through her dam, Well Turn. She's got Johnstown twice on the top through Spectacular Bid, going back to Fair Play, and he also goes back to Head Play by MOW full brother, My Play, in his dam line.

What's interesting is that Green Dancer's second dam, Sly Pola, brings in three crosses to MOW and Nijinsky's dam line goes to Firetop, by MOW. She also triples on Peter Pan, but not all of those as close up, and doubles on North Star- which may mean nothing but talk concentration there. However, looks like she was never bred to the same stallion twice.

Raska, Green Fee's dam, carries MOW in the dam line again through a double of Hail to Reason, whose dam carries it top and bottom.

OK, that's academic and too far back for most people nowdays, but I find it interesting to see those bloodlines in the dam lines of your mare and Green Fee's sire, especially Green Dancer's dam.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Oh I like going back in the pedigree. My hopes are that enough of the "right" horses are there in concentration but not close enough to worry me. It's a delicate line to walk without crossing.... but only time will tell! :D I'm an old school everything type of person anyway... :lol:

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:09 pm

YEAHHHHHH Almost a year later Ms. Biddy is at Green Fee's pad. Just dropped her off today and I am already bubbling over.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

How old is your mare??

Someone posted a very good article from VeterinaryPartner.com titled "Breeding The Older Maiden Mare" that you might want to pull up and read

I've covered a 13 YO maiden three times so far this year and wished I had read that article before her last cover on 4/19.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 pm

She's 11 this year and is KNOCKED UP (so far coming up on 30 day check)!!! woooohoooo happy dance happy dance!!! She's not a maiden she was.... um uh ..... a virgin though hahahaha!! Her only foal was two years ago via AI to a Dutch Warmblood and she had a beautiful filly. I however want Envious Bid to be cooking in there and HE better have balls!!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Yes I WANT a COLT!!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 pm

waiting waiting waiting...... I HATE WAITING!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Closing this saga of a thread out with the end result. A long legged beast of a colt born 04/17/2011. Just in case there are any hapless fools like myself who spend 10000 hours surfing the net looking at old posts and then getting frustrated when they don't end them lol!
But it just remains to be seen if he will indeed end up as Envious Bid lol! Or if that large heart and all those lines to War Admiral will mean anything :D