Would you and to who?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:51 pm

This mare is very interesting. Tail female tracing to La Troienne. Multiple inbreedings to some greats like War Admiral, Tom Fool, Nearco, Sweep already. Might be interesting to look for an outcross. Smart Guy (in Pa?)

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Retrospectiv
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Retrospectiv » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:04 pm

griff wrote:Another NayLee stallion I like is Stored; i.e., his momma won the Breeders Cup three times.

griff.

Where do you come up with this stuff? She won the Sprint.....Once.
~There is always one more imbecile than you counted on~

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 am

I was using info in this data base but it looks like that has been removed.??

I do remember she won her third Breeders Cup sprint by default but a win is a win. Also, I think she was an elipse champion.

Will research and get back to you.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:58 am

Well I am in love with 2 stallions, Medford and Green Fee. I looked at 8 stallions in all and these two guys not only blew me away physically but met all my other nitpicker criteria. :D Only problem is I want Green Fee and the hubby likes Medford lol! (You'd think he'd be happy that the stud fee's of both were way less than some others!!) Later I will have to put their photo's up, and if we can't decide I might do a vote b/c time isn't waiting on our undecided selves!!

P.s. Griff I met your girl A.G. she and her baby were very sweet!!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:59 am

Safely Kept was indeed a wonderful race mare. She won the Breeder's Cup Sprint (G1) once, at age 4. Eight of the other graded races she won were regional Breeder's Cup G3 races.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks Madlyn

Some one stripped the info from Safely Kept's pedigree. Would yu please put it back ??

Thanks

griff

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm

No one stripped her info; she is locked and has been for some time. It was erased by a database hiccup.

I re-added it, but it's rather heavily abbreviated as her extensive record won't fit well under a 500-character limit :? , so I apologize for it looking like crap.

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 pm

spex4me wrote:Well I am in love with 2 stallions, Medford and Green Fee. I looked at 8 stallions in all and these two guys not only blew me away physically but met all my other nitpicker criteria. :D Only problem is I want Green Fee and the hubby likes Medford lol! (You'd think he'd be happy that the stud fee's of both were way less than some others!!) Later I will have to put their photo's up, and if we can't decide I might do a vote b/c time isn't waiting on our undecided selves!! !

I ran across Green Fee's pedigree and race record several months ago and was very impressed. I've been surprised that I haven't heard anyone mention him before now. Rahy as his broodmare sire, should fit your mare well. That will give you another cross of Almahmoud through Cosmah. (That gives you all 3 daughters of Almahmoud!) Miss Swapsco (Rahy's third dam) is by Cohoes who brings in more La Troienne. Not to mention all of the linebreeding back to Mumtaz Mahal and Lady Josephine.

Medford's pedigree is pretty impressive too. Medford's broodmare sire is In Realiity and your mare's female family has produced black type runners when crossed with In Reality.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri May 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Spex4me

one , more weak point for Green Fee other than his large heart.

He has a close line to Nijinsky and your mare has a line to Lyphard.

I read some where that the Lyphard X Nijinsky cross produced 25% stakes winners.. Your foal would not exactly be a Lyphard X Nijinsky but the same blood is in the mix.. I admit that is a stretch but if you are looking for reasons to take your mare to Green fee add this one to the list.

griff

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Firebrand and griff if I weren't so exhausted I'd be jumping for joy. I had to thrust my laptop into my husbands line of sight :wink: . I think he almost said pick Green Fee.... almost. I think he is withholding his approval until the vet says she is a go. We have had such a year of great hopes and then disappointments that he is very hesitant to jump overboard as often as I do. Great insight though thanks again. If I win out gotta grab you all the drink of your choice!!!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Retrospective

In answer to your question; "Where do you come up with this stuff; i.e., She won the Sprint.....Once"

I found Stored's stallion page and under "Female Family" if lists the following, in addition to many other listings:

Breeders Cup Sprint G1
Garden State Park Budweiser Breeders Cup H -G3 three times
Meadowlands Budweiser Breeders Cup -H G3 twice
Finger Lakes Budweiser Breeders Cup H-l.

You are correct in that I should have said she won the G1 Breeders Cop Sprint pus five [5] other various regional G3 Breeders' Cups.

I still say she is an exceptional mare and I'm very please I am able to breed to her son Stored.

griff

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 04, 2009 4:40 pm

spex4me wrote:Firebrand and griff if I weren't so exhausted I'd be jumping for joy. I had to thrust my laptop into my husbands line of sight :wink: . I think he almost said pick Green Fee.... almost. I think he is withholding his approval until the vet says she is a go. We have had such a year of great hopes and then disappointments that he is very hesitant to jump overboard as often as I do. Great insight though thanks again. If I win out gotta grab you all the drink of your choice!!!

He's certainly an interesting selection. What I see is that each great grand sire was a top sire of turf runners: Northern Dancer, Val de loir, Blushing Groom, Roberto. If they match type wise you may end up with a turf runner with speed...

what is the story with this guy - so few foals thus far?

hope he works for you

jm

-
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 am

I hope he works for me too lol!! :lol:
I can only assume for now, that Green Fee being a turf horse, just isn't commercially appealing to most WV breeders. Charlestown which is about 5 minutes away has emphasis on speed, to which I personally would be scared to hell taking a long bodied horse there simply because it can get tight. (in my eyes of course, I've never run the track!! ) My mare is not a compact mare so the cross is probably going to yield a nice long body with a substantial backend. Both have nice hindquarters so barring some recessive genetic fluke, the foal should be in resemblance to the parents.

Wow I am getting way way ahead of myself envisioning the foal already :oops:

But I'll ask that question.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue May 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Spex4me

WV has two race tracks and the one at Mountaineer is a standard one mile course AND they have a turf course..

Even more appealing the WVBRED breeders' bonus up there is 100% of total WV eanings and the owner's bonus is 35% of total earnings

Think about that, a Breeder/Owner gets a 135% bonus on all winnings and gets to run in races restricted to WVBRED horses.

I run at Charles Town because I like to touch and watch my horses race and it's too far to travel to Mountaineer. However, every now and again a bunch from Charles Town willl enter races at Mountaineer and haul up there to race. I'll probaly get my trainer to join that group on one of these trips in the near future.

griff

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Fri May 08, 2009 7:02 am

Hey Spex4me, inquiring minds want to know, have you bred that mare ?yet? I have been reading this thread for over a month, and the breeding season is nearly over.

:lol:

Bedouwia