Would you and to who?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Would you and to who?

Postby spex4me » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Most of the time I am/was rambling about my filly that recently died. Her death set in motion a quest to try and find her dam that was unsuccessful. I did however find a mare that pleased me enough to make me content with a 3/4 sibling. So yes I do plan to breed this mare to Northward Bound, when I am ready. But I also was contemplating one other pairing.

The mare is : http://www.pedigreequery.com/heathers+bid

I like a couple of potential choices, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Factors that one might consider: Foal will be VA Bred (i.e. has to be sired or foaled in VA); Stud Fee DEFINTELY under 10k (and then some :shock: )
Even if this is a case for some of why bother, I do plan to race and keep everything I breed, hence why I have only one :lol: !!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 pm

I've always thought that Black Tie Affair would compliment a Spectacular Bid mare. The linebreeding offered is fantastic and its thru proven individuals when the two combine.

He brings in multiple lines of La Troienne that will compliment your mare's bottom side, and he also brings in Bold Commander, who's always worked well with Bold Bidder.

From what I see, Black Tie Affair only saw one SB mare and that mating produced a stakes winning mare, who in turn, is the dam of a Group winner in South Africa.

I imagine his stud career is quickly nearing an end with his age, so I would serious consider him if the cross tickles you.

He's in W. Virginia for 5k.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:11 pm

By the way, I love Spectacular Bid mares and just bought one to have "fun" with as well.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:36 pm

I love Bid broodies too... I think they are the 'key' to legacy of the Bid. So
BTA is in my fave 5, as he would also incorporate the sire line of my other filly.
My other ponderings so far are in no particular order:
Stormello, Maybry's Boy, Up Periscope, and Say Florida Sandy. :P

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Breeding to BTA and foaling in VA would give you a WV SIRED and a VA BRED. keep it in Delaware for 3 months before it's a 2 YO and it can also be Delaware Certified.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Timber
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Timber » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Consider Dance With Ravens

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Dance with Ravens was suggested to me, but I get super worried with stallions who don't get many starts. Plus with the Maryland program tanking, I kind of scrapped MD as an option. My mare only raced 8 times, but that is because....for lack of a better word, she sucked. But so did my filly's dam. But I know I had at least the heart of a racer in the filly I lost.

I think I am warming up to BTA. The WV/VA aspect is nice but it also plays on a A++ nick (which is about 10% of my reasoning), didn't consider the DE aspect, but am now :lol: , not to mention I love the physical cross between the two. They should compliment well. I have never seen BTA in the flesh bit have seen many of his progeny and I can't knock one. I am going to see BTA and if he is what I hope he is, I may be set lol!!

Thanks for the input!! :D

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:43 am

Spex4me

BTA is going to exceed your $10k fee limit and the last time I looked at him the fee did not include a stand & nurse.. Could have changed so check it out as he's getting very long in the tooth.

Suggest you take a look at Limit Out in WV as he had a 2008 average earnings per starter of $39k which is competitive with the top stallions in KY at 2% of their fees. And I do mean you should vist him and take a look. You will be glad you did.

Another NayLee stallion I like is Stored; i.e., his momma won the Breeders Cup three times.

The fees on both stallions are less than $5k and it's less than a three hour drive from Glouster. PM me if you have any specific questions.

griff.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:38 am

griff wrote:Spex4me

BTA is going to exceed your $10k fee limit and the last time I looked at him the fee did not include a stand & nurse.. Could have changed so check it out as he's getting very long in the tooth.

griff.

Last year, Black Tie Affair was 5k.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:36 am

Wow, $5k is certainly down from when I looked him [when he was standing in VA]

Is the $5k a strand and nurse fee or is it a pay in September fee?

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 am

September 1. Although, in this market, I wouldn't be shocked if they would do a stands and nurses. Even if they don't, he's a great value and suits this mare perfectly.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I agree he is a great value at $5k IF your mare delivers a live foal.. However, I believe he is age 25 plus and what happens if you pay your $5k fee in September and your mare does not deliver a live foal..

I'm sure they would "give" you a replacement cover in 2010 but what if he's not standing in 2010?

I suggest that while you are negoiating your "stand & nurse" contract you also address the above.. maybe they will also accept a "pay when the foal stands and nurses" clause like most other Mid Atlantic stallions.

griff

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Thats why its called Live Foal. If you pay in September on a LIve Foal contract, and dont get a live foal, you get your money back. If you are interested in him, I would negotiate a Live Foal Stands and Nurses contract. I dont know of a single stallion in Kentucky that isnt offering that right now, if you simply ask.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:13 pm

You're refunded your money, Griff, not a "credit", as was pointed out.

I can see why regional farms are more reluctant to do a Stands and Nurses, due to the high number of breeders who really aren't looking for a racehorse, and don't mind not getting the foaling papers.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Well his stallion page does indeed say 5k LIVE FOAL. So that is a relief. Am I correct to understand that if the mare does not even check in foal then the fee is null?

Here's another dumb question: Since it is later in the season do you think that farms may be willing to do more deals per say. Not just BTA but I was wondering that in general, especially given the current economic enviornment........... :?

On this mare I could care less if I am the listed breeder. Would breeder awards in a state like VA make any room for play in fee negotiation? I know these must seem like delusional wonderings, but as I am not a breeder, nor have any aspirations of such, I have a general curiosity when it comes down to the brass tacks of things.

I just want a foal to own and race for me, myself and I. :lol: I just have the goofy notion of being with the same horse from cradle to grave so to speak. I guess it would be from foaling stall to crematory but thats just semantics.... :D