Cut A Check Analysis Revisited

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Cut A Check Analysis Revisited

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:43 pm

While Friends Lake is an extremely attractive option for Cut A Check, I have recently gained access to a handful of "Stands and Nurses", discounted fee seasons to El Corredor. Based on my research and analysis methods, he is a great match for her as well.

Please provide opinions for:

El Corredor - Cut A Check (Polish Numbers)

and for a new mare:

El Corredor - Titia (Northern Spur)

The "experts" (??) are afraid of El Corredor because his first crop will be 2YOs this year. Does this make him any less of a stallion than when they bred to him his first and second years? It all can be attributed to the commercial market spin and capitalizing on pure speculation early on.

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Postby Opti-Mate » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:44 pm

I was not logged in when I initially posted this.
Breed a true racehorse, not an expensive pet!

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:23 pm

You have it straight, Opti-Mate -- a stallion is unproven until his first crops start running, which isn't till his fourth season at the earliest. If you breed for crops one through four (and really, crop five if the horse is a late maturing type that cannot realistically be expected to get a lot of juvenile winners), you are speculating based on your belief in the stallion and your judgment of the match with the mare, and the rush to go on the first or at most the second season is driven by the commercial market. If you really believe in your own judgment of the horse and you're breeding to race, there's no particular reason to avoid a third or fourth-season booking (other than the general reasons for being cautious about using an unproven sire, period), and it can even have some advantages in its being easier to get into the book in those years, easier to negotiate a discount at that time, and having a chance to view some of the stallion's foals and yearlings to see if he is throwing any particular physical strengths or weaknesses.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Use at least one of the seasons; I like El Corredor if the mare is fairly sound.

The match-up between Titia and El Corredor looks good; it would be 4x4 Unsociable / Booktalk (Hmm....) through the damline of the sire and the damline of the dam.

This is interesting as both were by the great broodmare sire Never Bend and whereas Booktalk's dam was grandsired by Son-In-Law and had Sweet Patrice as her 2nd dam; Unsociable's dam was 4x6x6 to Son-In-Law and had Dustsweep as her 3rd dam. (Sweet Patrice combined Fair Play, Rock Sand, Ben Brush, and Commando; who are also found in Dustsweep.)

Also; Gone West and Sadlers Wells have combined in the very good '04 GIW English 2YO Motivator and Gone West and Stop The Music have combined in the Champion Sprinter Cajun Beat.

Come to think about it; Danzig (the grandsire of your other mare) is a nice nick with Gone West as well. Maybe you don't want to put too many eggs in one basket but El Corredor certainly had some excellent times on the track and is from a hot sire producing sireline.

I didn't really look at the Cut A Check mating that closely though beyond the Gone West / Danzig cross working pretty well (We Can Seek and Elusive City being the GIWs).

-llbean