Legitimada

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

griff
Leading Sire

Legitimada

Postby griff » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Just picked up a new brood mare;

16hh, started 64 time between age 4 and age 10, , won $200k plus, won at ever distance. No lines to Mr. Prospector.

Trying to decide between:

Gunnerside by Seattle Slew
Stored out of Safely Kept
Garnered by Holy Bull

Am breeding for a WVBRED to race in WV and will appreciate comments

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

walaa
Starters Handicap

mare

Postby walaa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 pm

dont know much about the other guys, but I sure wish Gunnerside was closer to me! He looks awesome, great lineage, dont know what kind of mares he will get outside of KY, but he sure looks like a stallion prospect to me. I may be moving back to PA soon, which will be alot closer to him than where I am, then I might even take my old Saratoga Six mare to him, at the price how you could I not, no matter what she hasnt produced?? He just looks like a really nice horse, which I know doesnt mean he will get runners, but when you look at him, the price, and the bloodlines, its hard not to go for it if you have the money to breed, I think he will be a very underrated sire for awhile, but I will go out on a limb and say I think he will be in KY eventually, with his linited opportunites now, if he produces something, someone with money will put him somewhere else, I think.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 pm

walaa

Gunnerside is producing some very good looking foals and one of his daughters just won her MSW first time out and then came in third in a stakes race second time out..

My mare, Hot Concern, just had a late but cracker jack colt by Gunnerside.. I had her booked back to Stored but everyone that saw that colt recommended I take her back to Gunnerside.

Send me your email by PM and I'll forward pictures of the best looking colt I have ever put on the ground.

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Check out Albert the Great with her. You're picking up the Recess thru Good Manners that has had some real success, especially in South America.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 pm

ASB wrote:Check out Albert the Great with her. You're picking up the Recess thru Good Manners that has had some real success, especially in South America.

Linebreeding to Recess worked with Nobiz Like Shobiz too.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the input..

Don't know much about Recess. What is his appeal or claim to fame; i.e., his race record was 16/3/0/2 with $11,550 in winnings.

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:04 pm

No, Recess is the bluehen found in your mare's pedigree via the sire of her dam, Ahmad.

Inbreeding back into this family, via Recess in particular, has been successful in South America and most recently, with Nobiz for Shobiz in the States.

Albert the Great, the sire of Nobiz, carries Recess and he just happened to move to Pa relatively recently.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 pm

How did Recess get to be a Blue hen??

I thought Blue Hens were mares that had produced at least 4 G-1 stakes winners; i.e., Toussaud.. I looked at the offspring of Recess and there are vtwo or three stakes or handycpa winners but nothing like four G-1 winners..

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Bluehen has nothing to do with the amount of G1 offspring they produced, personally. A bluehen is a mare that created a branch of a family that, thru generations, uphold a standard of class and success that is much better than the breed average.

By your definition, La Troienne shouldn't be called a bluehen, yet she's the foundation mare for hundreds of stakes winners.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 am

so, ever foundation mare is a "blue hen" and ever 'blue hen' is a foundation mare?/

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am

A mare who produces a lot of G1 winners isn't necessarily a foundation mare or a "bluehen" at least not by my definition.

For instance Dahlia was an extraordinary broodmare having produced 4 G1 winners, but her offspring, especially her daughters, haven't carried on any class of much consistency. Right now, the family is practically dead. Most foals tracing back to Dahlia have two blank dams, aside from the very random stakes winner or two.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Re: Legitimada

Postby KBEquine » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 pm

griff wrote:Just picked up a new brood mare;

16hh, started 64 time between age 4 and age 10, , won $200k plus, won at ever distance. No lines to Mr. Prospector.
griff

First, congrats on Legitimada. I thought she looked interesting, too.

Second, much as I look for Recess mares (I've got one on the property & her 2009 colt) I wouldn't have thought about it for this particular mare, only because of how remote the Recess is.

Then again, other current (or recent past) horses from Recess's family in addition to the aforementioned Nobiz Like Shobiz include Romance Is Diane (whose dam's sire is the WV stallion Prized & whose sire line goes to Nasrullah via Grey Sovereign), Badge of Silver (whose dam's sire is also a Roberto-line sire - like Prized), Hall of Famer Mom's Command (a Nasrullah topline - like Romance Is Diane) & Cormorant (who doesn't help the Nasrullah/Roberto thing, but he IS sire of MD-based Go For Gin, sire of Albert The Great & grandsire of Recess descendant Nobiz Like Shobiz . . .)

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:00 pm

I am certainly not an expert on Blue hens, or much of anything else and i accept your definition.. Now the question is Toussaud a "Blue hen"?

griff

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:26 pm

I think Toussaud is a terrific broodmare who deserves all the accolades she can get, but at this point, she doesn't fit my definition of a bluehen, although she's on the way if her daughters start produce quality runners like Honest Lady has (First Defence).

It's going to take time though to see how the daughters really pan out as broodmares, especially since Honest Lady was the only one who proved herself on the track and has the oldest produce.

Toussaud's broodmare career is interesting trend-wise, considering she had only 1 filly in her first 6 foals, but then her last 4 foals were all fillies.

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Griff,

Speaking of Toussaud... I know that you didn't have Civilisation on your list, but since you've had luck with him, would you consider using him again? As soon as I looked at Legitimada's pedigree, I thought of him.

Take a look at the hypomating between him and Legitimada, especially to the 7th remove.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... LEGITIMADA

There are a couple of interesting linebreeding patterns in this mating. The third dam of Legitimada's sire is Teretina (o/o Teresina). She is also the 5th dam of Toussaud. Teretina's 3/4 brother is Alibhai and he is also in Toussaud's pedigree.

This mating would give you a double of Somethingroyal through both Secretariat and Sir Gaylord.

You also pick up La Troienne's 3/4 sister in Toussaud's pedigree (through Cornish Prince), plus two additional reinforcements of La Troienne, that would give you La Troienne through 4 different daughters.

Civilisation's brothers, Chester House and Empire Maker, are both Mr. Prospector line stallions that have had graded stakes winners when bred to Northern Dancer line mares.

If you want to stick with stallions on your list, Gunnerside looks good. The Seattle Slew should work well here. This cross also gives you the linebreeding to La Troienne through four different daughters, along with 17 crosses of Teddy through both sons and daughters. It also gives you 12 crosses of Man o' War through two sons and SEVEN daughters! This is interesting because War Admiral with La Troienne daughters worked so well, and Case Ace with Man o' War daughters did pretty well too (and vice versa).