Does anybody else think this is an intriguing match?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

drsamurai
Weanling

Does anybody else think this is an intriguing match?

Postby drsamurai » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm still debating who to send this mare to next year. I'm leaning toward Porto Foricos, Royal Strand, or Run Production. However, this combination has me thinking. http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php?search_bar=hypomating&query_type=hypomating&h=&hypo_sire=saint+afleet&hypo_dam=rahy+time&g=5&all=No&cellspacing=0&cellpadding=0&border=0&f=1&p=0&c=0&text_color=000000

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Can't look at it, not a paid customer here. sorry.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Ballade inbreeding is just now starting to get some stakes winners, but the Special inbreeding is just that, special.

The cross is extremely solid although with an unproven broodmare, and from a family that is spotty, I'd much rather breed her to a proven sire of runners.

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:53 pm

What is the mare's name? The pedigree you posted is just itself a hypomating.
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

hpkingjr

pedigree

Postby hpkingjr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:00 pm

I love the matchup on paper. Glorious Song and Saint Ballado are full siblings, Sadlers Wells and Nureyev are 3/4th equivalents, of the 9 graded winners with Herbager inbreeding, 8 are sex balanced and as Work stated, "Special is Special".

Kinsolving (Posse ex No End In Sight) combines the two siblings so it has worked recently.

drsamurai
Weanling

Postby drsamurai » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 am

Sorry I just posted the hypo. The mare's name is Rahy Time. The sire is Saint Afleet. I do like the matchup on paper, however an unproven sire concerns me. That is why I am considering the other three more.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Unproven sires, IMHO, are the stuff dreams are made of :D moreso than taking an unproven mare to a proven sire.

I have an unproven mare going to an unproven sire, have extremely realistic expectations but it won't stop our friends from planning a trip to Louisville in four years......

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Postby Sock Monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 pm

I wasn't able to see the hypo mating, either, but based on what others have said it sounds like an interesting cross on paper.

I have a filly from Saint Afleet's first crop (a 2yo) and have seen him in person. He's an average looking fellow with a moderate race record. My filly is pretty ho hum. She's very correct physically, but just is not a standout. Her nickname is The Widlebeest (she is not attractive). She's been a bit slow to mature so she's just getting broke now, so no guage on talent yet, but she's the type that should be a good blue collar type of useful horse. I understand Saint Afleet's owners are not terribly interested in marketing, so I would not rely on them to try to "make" him as a stallion - I believe their main interest is using him for their own mares.

Royal Strand is interesting, but check the physical on him. A lot of his foals are extremely narrow and weedy. I'd be careful with the mare I sent him.