Meadaaar

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Meadaaar

Postby Gerry » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:39 am

I dont know if this is in the right section or not but will give it a try. My 1st year stallion MEADAAAR is 16'3 by Diesis out of Katiba by Gulch. Although he ran long, on the turf and dirt and was stakes placed in England, he is from the family of VERY SUBTLE who was a sprinter. (Breeders Cup Sprint winner).

I like the idea of crossing him with mares by stallions known for being speed producers aka Dehere but others are telling me I should be looking for more Mr. P lines and to stay away from the Northern Dancer. Any thoughts or suggestions? Knowing that he is going to get a limited book this year due to my missing the important advertising deadlines I want to give him the best chance possible.

Thanks

SemparQuel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SemparQuel » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:54 am

IMO good matings can be with mares of the tail female family of Lalun.
I'd stay away from more Raise a Native- Mr.P. I'd prefer instead solid mares from staying lines.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:51 am

oh Gerry, I feel your pain about the deadlines... :cry: same is true for my guy, Rocking Trick...

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:09 pm

Madelyn....I saw your guy in the addition to the Bloodhorse...I could have gotten Meadaar in there but thought I had missed it as well. (I like RT by the way :D )

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:14 pm

Hey thanks, I was pushing the envelope AGAIN today for the Feb 12th issue, a nice ad... I LOVE my horse he is an angel, gentle good-natured boy so sweet to his mares...I haven't seen the supplement issue, was it well placed?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Regarding Meadaaar (by the way I have always LOVED Dieses, yet it is only the last couple of years I have noticed runners by him) I'm no guru but it seems you could play off what has worked with Dieses (Deputy Minister, Spec Bid, Roberto, etc.) and bounce in what works with Mr P, Nijinsky and Never Bend... if your horse looks anything like his Daddy you may be beating the girls away... good luck.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:32 pm

Hi Madelyn,

I'm in travel mode today so sorry for delays in responses. The Bloodhorse Supplement was in an issue a few weeks back...towards the middle to back of it if I remember correctly. When I opened my copy it actually opened right to Rocking Trick! strange huh?

Meadaaar is nearly 16'3, maybe a little more...a complete gentleman. You can tell he was handled alot when traveling from England to the UAE and then the US. He is a beautiful chestnut...we are working an getting a new picture of him in the next couple of weeks.

I have a Spec Bid daughter that we are going to breed to him, possibly a Solford mare (it depends if she foals a filly or colt next month :D ) and I have 2 others that I am toying with. We have a few mares booked to him and if he stamps his foals the way Not A Corgi stamped his 1st 2 in a test crop, next year will be very exciting.

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:12 am

I like Diesis alot myself but I'm not sure breeding a son of his that was 2 for 21 with 70k is that great of an idea. I dont mean that with any disrespect whatsoever. I would not want to bring in any more Mr P but good ND mares via Nuryev, Lyphard etc should have a chance to work. Blushing Groom lines mares would a way I would look at. Your best bet may be in good Roberto line mares as bringing in Hail To Reason should be of benifit. Bold Reason who is out of Lalun by HTR would def be a way to go he comes mainly via Sadlers Wells which gives you alot of options as he has tons of daughters & granddaughters out there. A good Judge TC mare you should be abale to get at a good enough price. The key alot of times is just breeding good mares period & not taking a poorly pedigreed built mare just because of a couple of individuals. Best of luck with your stallion.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:09 pm

The grandsire of your stallion, Sharpen Up, is an excellent nick with the 3/4 brothers Sadlers Wells and Nureyev; and as TomFool wisely pointed out, Sadler's Wells' damsire Bold Reason was a half-brother of Never Bend by Hail To Reason.

Sadlers Wells is probably the best source of Bold Reason for Meadaaar because of the Sharpen Up / Sadlers Wells nick (which has produced no fewer than 10 GIWs).

-llbean

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:33 pm

TomFool..no disrespect noted :D 28 starts 2 wins, 6 2nds, 3 3rds its tough to figure the conversion to US $$ from pounds or whatever the currency in the UAE is. I believe he has the conformation, pedigree and yes even race record to be a stallion in the Mid Atlantic region and thats what I am breeding for.

Thank you all for your comments on good crosses for him.