2010 Breedings

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:29 am

Charvyjr, if you want the mares back, you might want to SELECT the stallions for them and inquire about a foal share deal. Then you might want to inspect the farm where they will be kept, etc. I don't see much in Hurricane Time, however, warranting a foal share. Who is the other mare?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

hah480
Weanling

Postby hah480 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Last edited by hah480 on Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 am

hah480 wrote:
Most important is Quackns Half Sister Trappings just produced Bcup winner She Be Wild, we plan to book to Offlee Wild hopefully for a discount given the connection--- guess that would make the resulting foal a 1/2 in blood to a Bcup winner? Or 3/4 or 1/4, I'm not sure how they calculate that term or if it even has importance? the foal would be a 3x4 to seattle slew is that to inbred for the market? Any advice is appreciated

I think the commercial market will see the close relationship to She Be Wild and not worry so much about the inbreeding to Slew.

I really like this mare with Quiet American. Fappiano is one of the more potent crosses on both AP Indy and Storm Cat, she has In Reality down her dam line, and Jump Start's two best stakes winners this year are linebred to Mr P. He got very reasonable prices at the sales this year, is notoriously good as a sire of broodmares (more value if you have a filly), and if you have to run the foal later it's likely to earn its keep.

Another Mr P option is a son of Carson City, to duplicate the cross of Carson Hollow and a reverse cross of Rail Trip (Jump Start over Carson City). City Zip looks nice, as does Pollard's Vision. Of the two I like City Zip better.

hah480
Weanling

Postby hah480 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:02 am

hmmm
Last edited by hah480 on Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:55 am

hah480 wrote:Kim wow before this whole she be wild connection we were going to continue racing her and do exactly what you said in respect to adding some Fappiano. I still think its the better way but cant ignore that more money potential is with booking to Offlee Wild. I also agree that people should start taking notice of any son of Carson City at stud, they seem to be producing high quality stock even with lesser mares, and City Zip looks awesome! Dont forget Cuvee he might be Carsons overlooked at the moment.

Thanks for the advice Kim, Ill probably end up trying to get in foal and do a quick flip privately or at sale later next year. I think where I get worried is if we dont hit reserve then I'm stuck with a ton of expenses until we get a foal to sale, and worried if I should try to strike a deal now while I can or take the risk of not hitting reserve and getting a crooked foal or one of a million other things that can go wrong. Guess its all a crapshoot and ones appetite for risk in a down market?

If you're wanting to put her in foal to flip, then you need to be looking at covering sire prices of mares AND you need to be brutally honest with yourself about what you have and whether you will be able to deal with the expenditure.

At the end of the day, this mare is running in bottom-level claimers in Maryland. Somebody could have bought her for $4500 3 weeks ago, racing fit and ready to go again--with both Carson Hollow and the at-the-time Gr-1 placed She Be Wild on the page.

If somebody has called you offering you better than that $4500 tag she ran for on the 31st of October, TAKE IT. Take it with a smile and don't look back.

Moving on, if you're wanting to sell the mare in-foal, or possibly sell the foal as a weaner, you need a stallion whose sales stats are good across the board. Of the Carson City sons, Quiet American, and Offlee Wild, only Quiet American is getting the kind of consistent sales figures you want. QA does, and has been getting prices with a chance of profit even through the mess of 2009.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 am

We might breed just one mare, by Spectacular Bid, and a proven producer, but the other mares are getting some time off. I will only breed my mare every other year, and the great deals we got at the sales this year, well you can't beat them!

Why pay so much for a stallion fee to breed one of our mares, when we can get the foals of the same such stallion at the sales for a small portion of what th stud fee is?!

Now that the economy is what it is, we are taking advantage of it, as it won't be that way for long (or maybe it will, who knows?) We got two very well bred fillies at the fall sales for a steal practically, and then you see what the studs fee is, it just does not make sense to breed more when you have the foals already there, already weaned, x-rayed, etc.

Now if you have a certain mare you want bred to a certain stud, that's a different story, but unless you do, why not get the superb deals at the sales?

Hoping that all of you have great racing luck in 2010! Happy New Year
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Five mares all going to the shed, including two maidens and possibly a 6th older mare who's slated to foal late April. We'll see how she keeps form after foaling before deciding on her. There should be a few nice stallions still open.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:31 pm

I've always wondered this; never remembered to ask this, how did the saying "going to the shed" start? Why do they call it that? Is this something that started a long time ago and its just a figure of speach? Sorry for the silly question, like I said, I always wanted to ask about that. Thanks all...

Happy New Year!
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:02 pm

We're breeding seven mares, which is one more than last year (had a filly retire from the track.) I love the stallions we've got them booked to and I'm hopeful that things might turn around some by 2012 which is when we'll hope to sell a couple of them.

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Re: 2010 Breedings

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 am

griff wrote:Anyone planning to breed anything in 2010??

griff

I am Bloodstock Agent Based in Fla currently in North Texas... It is EyeWash... Just like in 80's and 90's... ok Highs Lows... Ride the Wave.. ther eis Money out there..
www.starquine.com
Hello,look at my listings ALAAZO, MALT MAGIC, MASSIVE DRAMA, HALO NAJIB, E Z WARRIOR, ASPEN RIDGE... ** PASS INFO along....

I recommend you Breed her to either HALO NAJIB OR MASSIVE DRAMA in Indiana... Program is Excellent and i placed these 2 Stallion for ZAYAT STABLES along with 3 others.. You can Nick mare Free @ TRUENICKs.com

Contact myself If Anyt ..?? ok Also U can BId today until 8pm on Seasons for as Littlle as $250.. Yes $250 @ www.Starquine.com

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm

I thought it made more sense to breed than to keep her open. I will have her bred in PA and hopefully will have a foal that my bring some breeders award in the near future. I am paying just as much to keep her on the Farm if she is not bred. May sell the baby soon after though to ease the bills somewhat.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm

We'll probably breed at least one, perhaps 2 or 3.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Postby SIXSAINT » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:13 pm

clh wrote:We'll probably breed at least one, perhaps 2 or 3.

to waht stallion..??

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:28 am

We are breeding three-all contracts done. Sent one to KY already. The other two will be bred later this Spring. But, we breed to race and race everything we breed. No sales.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm only breeding one mare this year that is going to PA. I am dispersing all of the others either before or after they have thier foals. I don't think the market is going to turn around any time soon.