Mating suggestions?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Tritonian
Newborn

Mating suggestions?

Postby Tritonian » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:59 am

I'm new, and reading all of your wonderful posts! Have a mare "Cocoon of Summer" - Was wondering what your advice is for her. She is by Half Term. Thanks in advance for any help!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:59 am

wow, What's with All the Meetings with General Meeting? Between your mare's female family and that horse, except to prove there is no nick there? For clues I would examine what HAS worked in the past (Lovely Habit, by Habitony, Big Pal by Beau's Eagle, out of your mare's second dam). Anyhow, for stallion suggestions, it is best if you tell whether you are breeding to race or to sell, location, price range, etc.

Tritonian
Newborn

Thanks for the reply!

Postby Tritonian » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Well... Currently in California & she just foaled to Gotham City. Very correct colt. If there is a way to post the picture I would. Anyway, wondering if you think this is a good cross. Breeding to race hopefully. Currently in Stockton, CA. Would like to keep the fee under $$10,000. Again, any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

BJ
Horse of the Year

Re: Thanks for the reply!

Postby BJ » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:56 pm

Tritonian wrote:Well... Currently in California & she just foaled to Gotham City. Very correct colt. If there is a way to post the picture I would. Anyway, wondering if you think this is a good cross. Breeding to race hopefully. Currently in Stockton, CA. Would like to keep the fee under $$10,000. Again, any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

My first priority would be to determine if the mare only had 2 starts because she couldn't run or because she had "soundness issues". Most race-career-ending injuries are not "accidents", IMO. If she had "soundness issues", I most assuredly would NOT breed her to any stallion who wasn't the soundest thing on four legs, who also comes from a family of sound horses. Stay away from stallions with similar short careers. I don't care how well bred they are. Know WHY their careers were short. Usually, it has to do with bred in unsoundness that will be passed on to your foal.

My second priority, after finding a good, sound, talented, well-bred stallion, would be to get a report from Brisnet.com or Equineline.com on whether or not your mare's bloodlines have proven success with whatever stallion(s) you are contemplating. (Also pay the $10 a month or $50 for 6 months, to join the "expanded membership" on THIS SITE, which gives you access to "hypo-mating", if you haven't already done that.)

After you narrow that field down...then, I would ask for some input on which of the stallions you've narrowed down might work best with your mare. Too many breeders breed horses without doing much homework. There are few EXPERTS on this board. Many are working hard to educate themselves, but few are proven experts. Good ideas and suggestions can be found, but the heavy lifting must be learned, researched by you for you to have your best shot. Study breeding patterns/nicks of breeders like the Phipps, the Hancocks, old Calumet, the Janneys, etc.