smart gossip

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

smart gossip

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 pm

would like suggestions for smart gossip's first date. i'm breeding to race in the mid-atlantic area but am not committed to using a regional stallion. price range is up to $15K. thanks.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Any chance you could post a couple of good photos of your girl? Might help folks make good suggestions if they could see what she looks like. Otherwise folks are just making paper choices.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:01 am

Why not try Birdstone?
Mine that Bird is out of a Smart Strike mare.
This is also an A+ Nick and produced another G1 horse in Stone Legacy.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 am

xfactor fan wrote:Any chance you could post a couple of good photos of your girl? Might help folks make good suggestions if they could see what she looks like. Otherwise folks are just making paper choices.

actually, there's a whole long thread when she was offered for sale on this site, complete w/pics:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... hp?t=25280

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:31 am

What about Jump Start?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 am

I recommend you take a look at:

Cherokees Boy

Dance With Ravens

Gunnerside

I have a late 2009 Gunnerside colt our of a Concern daughter with Dixieland Band and Mr P on the bottom that is the best looking foal I have ever produced. I had the dam booked tyo another stallion for 2009 but bred her back to Gunnerside after I saw this colt.

PM your email address and I'll send you some pictures; i.e., I've never figured out how to post pictures on this site..

Gunnerside's first filly to race won her MSW big time and placed 3rd in a stakes race the next month.. He's going to be nominated as a Breeders' Cup stallion for 2010.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:06 am

thanks for the input. i'd prefer a proven stallion. right now i'm thinking of pleassantly perfect, cherokee run, aptitude, and out of place. any thoughts on those guys?

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:24 am

I was thinking about Aptitude myself for a filly we've got, whose dam's half-sister is dam to one of Aptitude's best runners (Great Hunter). I looked at his mare report for last year & he only got 11 mares, so the farm might be interested in a deal, unless they decide to sell him or send him somewhere I don't want to ship a mare.

I'm hoping our mare sells before breeding season, but he's on the short-list for us, too.

Of the stallions you're currently considering, my other choice would be Out Of Place because there are parts of the mare's dam's side who seem to "like" Turn To-line sires, which is one of the reasons I was considering her, before you bought her.

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:16 pm

A proven stallion is the smart choice for Smart Gossip, but I have to admit that I do like the Dance with Ravens cross that provides inbreeding to that great mare Classy 'N Smart.

Are you still thinking breed-to-race? I recall that Smart Gossip won some races, what distance did she favor?

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:50 pm

definitely breeding to race. SG ran 17 times and won twice at a mile - once on turf, once on synthetic (turfway was synthetic in '07, right?). on the board 7 times so not a total bust as a runner. my plan is to send her to the very best i can afford right out of the blocks. i've gone over this stuff so many times it all starts to run together.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I have to say, I like the Dance With Ravens cross, too. Satisfies the Rasmussen factor criteria of in-breeding to a superior female within the 1st 5 generations through sex-balanced - and superior - offspring on both sides of the pedigree.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:18 am

the one thing i don't like about DWR is his race record. i think that's why i tend to lean more towards the kentucky stallions, which is one of the reasons they're in kentucky and higher-priced in the first place. then there's notional, who raced a few times more than DWR but just moved to the breeding shed last year. i really like the in excess w/SG but he's certainly not a proven stallion.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:41 am

So, on the same theory as Dance With Ravens (and I do agree his race record gives pause, but like him enough to give it a shot any way) how about Sky Classic? Gives 2 x 4 to No Class, Classy n Smart's dam, and 2 x 5 through Nijinsky & his 3/4 sister, Fleur. Is a KY sire with 57 stakes winners & less than $15k stud fee & for TrueNick people, an A+.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:55 am

funny, but sky classic was suggested by another poster right after i purchased SG. and DWR was at the top of my list initially before i really started looking at matchups. seems i've come full circle. sky classic is definitely interesting, thanks.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:58 am

so here's my short list, in no particular order:

plesantly perfect
langfuhr
aptitude
sky classic

thoughts?