Thoughts on This Hypomating?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Thoughts on This Hypomating?

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Bayou The Moon x A Loose Kisser

Just musing about this hypomating and thought I'd open it up to the forum for comments. (Sam, you might have some interest in looking at this.)

Bayou The Moon is a young stallion (sired by Dixieland Band, registered with the New Mexico bred program). Some interesting things here, aside from the obvious (balanced linebreeding 3x3 to Kris S.) There's unbalanced Northern Dancer on the top and bottom. Also, a few key individuals in the first five such as Round Table and Sharpen Up, and the mare is tale female to Misty Morn. The dosage shows classic with a tilt toward brilliance (not sure about the Conduit profile). Anything else major I'm not seeing?

Has linebreeding to Kris S. had any successes to date?

Thanks,
Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:55 pm

I like the 3x3 breeding to a superior individual, and Kris S. would be considered VERY superior, If the inbreeding has a beneficial effect, then the resulting foal should be a superior runner, if not then just an average TB like the rest of em. I like the fact the mare had 41 starts, shows she's a durable girl.

Jeff

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm

I'm not sure I like it as much as Jeff; yes, the direct source of Kris S on both sides is okay; but then the Kris S goes through Bayou The Moon, a minor Stakes Winner, and A Loose Kisser, who was not a major runner at all (in spite of her starting a large number of times).

I also think inbreeding to Kris S could possibly result in too much stamina; but maybe Bill can provide more insights into that.

-llbean

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:09 pm

this inbreeding is through Lying To The Moon, and Kissin Kris, both multiple graded stakes winners, that's what is meant by inbreeding through superior individuals, which is certainly done in this case. That old saying, return the best blood of the dam, that's what this does. The resulting foal will likely have stamina, very likely the needed speed, as the graded stakes winners he, she will be inbred to, certainly had enough of that. Of course you never know, maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but looking at the pedigrees of TB's past, it was often tried, and often worked, often works today, lots of 3x3 N/D graded stakes winners out there.
Jeff