Cashmere Cat vs?????

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Kirsten
Weanling

Cashmere Cat vs?????

Postby Kirsten » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:01 pm

Ok all this talk about breeding tbs makes me want to delve into this art you all seem to know so much about.
I have a registered tb mare i may be able to get one more foal out of during my lease. Reg name Cashmere Cat her dad was Danzig Connection.
I have a farm about 1 hr away which i am considering their studs If i am going to breed again and it will be a tb.
they stand Alystar Slew, Like the Prospects, and Box Office Event.

What do you think. Im not a millionaire and really dont want to travel to the end of the earth with a wet mare and foal.

Ideas> worthwhile>> any good price for the yearling or is my mare not good enough producer?

madelyn

Cashmere Cat

Postby madelyn » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:20 am

your mare is listed as having not produced foals through 2003, those stallions are all virtually unraced, I can't imagine any commercial appeal going on there. It costs so much to produce the foal....

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:24 am

madelyn is correct in that your mare is not commercial. However, if you are dead set in breeding her, the farm you are are looking at has 3 stallions that are all unraced. On top of that, they charge a $200 booking fee. ACK! Booking fees IMO are an abomination. They don't do anythiing to earn your $200.

I'm not terribly familiar with Ontario stallions but this one caught my eye. Your mare needs some speed, you might try Tethra, a stakes winner, grand looking horse, and son of excellent sire Cure the Blues.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:07 am

Actually, aurora, booking fees are a hedge against non paying breeders, and are typically deducted from the stud fee. They are an abomination to those that do not understand them....

Kirsten
Weanling

Postby Kirsten » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:25 am

thanks guys ill check out tethra, I know my friend has bred some of her mares to him as she couldnt use her own stud as he was related to the mares. Ill check him out.

thanks also for the input on my mare!

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:24 pm

ACTUALLY, as a long time breeder, I certainally DO understand booking fees, I'm not sure why you might suggest that I don't and I still think that they are an abomination.

What I don't understand is your comment re using a booking fee as a hedge against a non-paying client. All breedings should be accompanied by a contract and a contract binds the mare owner to pay the stud fee under certain stated conditions. I would suggest that the norm is the paying breeder so why would a stallion owner use a 'hedge' against the majority of his/her clients just to address the shortfall of the very few deadbeats? I suggest that stallion owners aren't using this as a hedge at all but merely a tool to increase their profitabilty, particularly in cases where the mare doesn't get pregnant on a live foal guarantee contract. When this happens, the stallion owner gets the fee, the mare owner gets nada.

I have paid booking fees only in the rarest of circumstances and if there is a choice of stallions (there usually is) I go elsewhere.