Mating Advice

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

redhart1
Suckling

Mating Advice

Postby redhart1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:46 pm

My partners and I are considering a number of options for our mare Lady Heroine (Sea Hero - Lady Caveat) for 2010.

We have offeres for foal shares with either Hard Spun or Any Given Saturday or a complimentary season to Tale of Ekati naming the share owner as co-breeder. We are looking to sell the resulting foal as a yearling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:24 pm

I think I'd recommend breeding this mare to Malibu Moon.

Malibu Moon has already sired a Stakes Winner from a Sea Hero mare, and this cross of Malibu Moon and Sea Hero gets a VGS of 212.9 based on 1 SW.

This cross's success is backed up Malibu Moon's sire AP Indy getting a good VGS of 5.9 based on 2 SWs when crossed with Sea Hero's sire Polish Navy.

Also Malibu Moon has done good when crossed with Sea Hero's grandsire Danzig, with the cross getting a VGS of 4.45 based on 3 SWs.

AP Indy also does well with Danzig, with a VGS of 2.23 based on the large sample size of 25 SWs.

And an AP Indy line stallion combined with your mare's damsire Caveat in the G3W Hightap.

In addition, Sea Hero mares have done well when crossed with Stallions descended from Mr Prospector, with the cross of Mr P over Sea Hero getting a VGS of 4.09 based on 3 SWs.

Finally, the Hypo between Malibu Moon and Lady Heroine gets an A+ TrueNick Rating based on the AP Indy/Polish Navy cross.

The other good possibility for your mare I can see would be to try and breed her to a Machiavellian son, but I doubt one would be available in your price range unless you were willing to ship overseas.
"What happened is merely a sample of what might have happened, weighted by probability."
http://www.venturageoscore.com/

redhart1
Suckling

Postby redhart1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:58 pm

llbean, thanks for your thoughts. We are approved to Malibu Moon and that was our first choice as well. However, his stud fee is cost prohibitive for our 2010-11 plans. This is why we were seeking other options (foal shares, etc.). She is currently in foal to Elusive Quality on a foal share, but that option was not available to us for the coming season either, nor was Street Sense.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Maybe you could get a foal share to Malibu Moon?

redhart1
Suckling

Postby redhart1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm

LB, the foal share with Malibu Moon was how we approached Spendthrift. They considered it, but only approved her at a full stud fee.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Wonder what MM's book is going to look like?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

walaa
Starters Handicap

gs

Postby walaa » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Griff, how is your beautiful Gunnerside baby doing??

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:43 pm

Redhart1

Have you considered More Than Ready? He has been dynamite with Danzig line mares, loves the La Troienne that Sea Hero is inbred to and Caveat works nicely with Southern Halo.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:30 pm

The nick between More Than Ready and Danzig appears to be more of a Danehill thing:

More Than Ready/Danehill VGS = 10.8 (6 SWs)

More Than Ready/Danzig (not Danehill) VGS = 3.5 (4 SWs)

It's still a pretty good cross even with sources of Danzig other than Danehill, but much less good a cross than with Danehill.
"What happened is merely a sample of what might have happened, weighted by probability."

http://www.venturageoscore.com/

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:22 pm

walla

Gunny Sgt is up to his belly in snow. The Jockey Club said I needed better pictures of his leg with the white markings so I'll get more pictures on New Years Day.. we did five days of double dose SafeGuard and followed it with a dose of Equimax so he should be clean now.

We are running his half brother Hotel Sierra, out of Civilisation, on 12/31 in a 4 1/2 furlong WVBRED NW3 $12.5 claimer..

Hotel Sierra had chips removed last July and this will be his first race in 5 months. He looks and acts sound and this will be the test.

Cross your fingers.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

walaa
Starters Handicap

race

Postby walaa » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Well, good luck to him and you :) Get a nice pic of him at the track, I hope he does well!

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Re: Mating Advice

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 am

redhart1 wrote:My partners and I are considering a number of options for our mare Lady Heroine (Sea Hero - Lady Caveat) for 2010.

We have offeres for foal shares with either Hard Spun or Any Given Saturday or a complimentary season to Tale of Ekati naming the share owner as co-breeder. We are looking to sell the resulting foal as a yearling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have PIONEEROF THE NILE @ Vinery.... tell them Bret Sent u.. If you mare Qualifies then a Foals Share with ZAYAT could Happen ok...

Hello,look at my listings ALAAZO, MALT MAGIC, MASSIVE DRAMA, HALO NAJIB, E Z WARRIOR, ASPEN RIDGE... ** PASS INFO along....

I recommend you Breed her to either HALO NAJIB OR MASSIVE DRAMA in Indiana... Program is Excellent and i placed these 2 Stallion for ZAYAT STABLES along with 3 others.. You can Nick mare Free @ TRUENICKs.com

Contact myself If Anyt ..?? ok Also U can BId today until 8pm on Seasons for as Littlle as $250.. Yes $250 @ www.Starquine.com