mistress donna

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

aurora
Starters Handicap

mistress donna

Postby aurora » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm

I'm considering Haymarket. Is this too much Mahmoud?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:04 am

I don't think so. Something that did catch my eye is that you would be linebreeding to Herbager through Grey Dawn and Ballade. That cross hasn't worked so well.

Seattle Slew has crossed well with Vigors, so if there is a stallion with a goodly bit of Slew blood about that might work.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:42 am

I appreciate your suggestion, Kimberley. I'm curious, what source of information did you use to determine that that linebreeding to Herbager hasn't worked well?

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:48 am

Just adding 2 cents. From what I understand doubling up Herbager is discouraged because he was inbred to Firdaussi on his dam's side. This would give you a quadruple dose of Firdaussi which seems to have implications as far as soundness and/or speed. Sorry I can't be more specific, just passing on some vague info that was communicated to me through a couple of sources. One former forum member (who went by the name of Seigfried) was a studier of old bloodlines and seemed to have a problem with more than one occurance of Firdaussi in a pedigree, but his responses and his reasoning were always a little difficult to understand.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:46 am

aurora wrote:I appreciate your suggestion, Kimberley. I'm curious, what source of information did you use to determine that that linebreeding to Herbager hasn't worked well?

There was a lengthy discussion on T-Times about it, in the breeding section. The poster commented how of out of x number of attempts, only about 3 were good horses. I looked for it to refer to you, but didn't have much luck finding it on limited time and a dial-up connection. It should still be there. Also, a quick, completely unscientific buzz through Pedigree Query database looking at Saint Ballado/Devils Bag/Rahy/Devil His Due over Grey Dawn/Vigors/Swing Till Dawn and vice versa showed about one in three of those horses listed as "unraced."

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:11 am

If you can't find a good source of Seattle Slew; Madelyn's stallion Rocking Trick would be very interesting on account of his 2nd dam La Vire producing the Champion (Germinis) Producer Grey Valley to the cover of Vigors and Rocking Trick's male line ancestor Icecapade combining with Vigors in the dam of MGIW Free House and the 2xTime Panamanian Champion Sprinter Super I.

Another good thing about Rocking Trick for the mare is that her dam Hayseed Honey 4x5 to the great French stallion Tourbillon through his sons Djebel and Goya; and Rocking Trick is 6x6 to Djebel.

Note that the source of Djebel in Hayseed Honey is My Babu, who is bred on the same Djebel/Sweet Lavender cross as Klairon, one of the sources of Djebel in Rocking Trick.

-llbean