Jockey Club papers

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Roman Brother
Newborn

Jockey Club papers

Postby Roman Brother » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:41 am

Hi this is my first post,although I do lurk a lot!
My event horse is a wonderful Tb mare who had a fairly good race record.
I want another just like her so I have decided to breed her this year,or next year.
I started stallion shopping,and so far the stallion I like best is another Tb.
When I got my mare,I just received a Photo copy of her registration,her papers had been lost.
I honestly did not care at the time,but she is such a great horse I really want to see if I can get her bred,since I am looking at this Tb stallion,I am wondering if to get a Jockey Club registration on the foal do I need the original papers,or can I use the photo copy of her papers,I have the bill of sale also from the last recorded owner.
I know it is a super pain to get copies of her papers,from the JC[I did that once before on another horse].
I want the Jockey Club registration because if for some reason the foal does not work out for me,it will increase it's saleability,although my main plan is to keep the foal.
You never know,and it would be better to have the JC papers.
Thanks !

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Re: Jockey Club papers

Postby Hold Your Peace » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Roman Brother wrote:Hi this is my first post,although I do lurk a lot!
My event horse is a wonderful Tb mare who had a fairly good race record.
I want another just like her so I have decided to breed her this year,or next year.
When I got my mare,I just received a Photo copy of her registration,her papers had been lost.
I honestly did not care at the time,but she is such a great horse I really want to see if I can get her bred,since I am looking at this Tb stallion,I am wondering if to get a Jockey Club registration on the foal do I need the original papers,or can I use the photo copy of her papers,I have the bill of sale also from the last recorded owner.
I know it is a super pain to get copies of her papers,from the JC[I did that once before on another horse].
I want the Jockey Club registration because if for some reason the foal does not work out for me,it will increase it's saleability,although my main plan is to keep the foal.
You never know,and it would be better to have the JC papers.
Thanks !

Generally you don't need your mare's papers to breed her to a Thoroughbred stallion or to register the resulting foal with the Jockey Club.

Just so long as you're 100% sure that your mare is who you've been told she is (and that she hasn't been reported as deceased or sold without papers or anything).

When you register the resulting foal their would be a problem when the Jockey Club tested the hairs if your mare wasn't who you thought she was.
Last edited by Hold Your Peace on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm

If you've got a copy of the papers, you can maybe check the registration number & see if it matches the lip tattoo, for a start. Then call the JC & make sure she hasn't been reported as deceased, etc.

We have a mare for whom we've never had papers. She's had 3 JC-registered foals for us, so far.

Roman Brother
Newborn

Postby Roman Brother » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks guys,I got her from her last owner,who raced her,I saw her on the track and had to have her!
He gave me a photocopy of the papers with the bill of sale so I could transport her home,and then he was going to get the papers stamped ,so she could not be raced again.
The papers then got lost,it was about,6 years ago.
Anyway thanks,it will,be a lot easier to just use the photocopy of her papers than trying to get a copy of the original.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Re: Jockey Club papers

Postby Fair Play » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am

Roman Brother wrote:My event horse is a wonderful Tb mare who had a fairly good race record.

You don't need papers. If you don't mind sharing, who is your mare and choice for her? I love to know who makes good eventers. :)

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Mare Papers Lost ??

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:05 am

Roman Brother wrote:Thanks guys,I got her from her last owner,who raced her,I saw her on the track and had to have her!
He gave me a photocopy of the papers with the bill of sale so I could transport her home,and then he was going to get the papers stamped ,so she could not be raced again.
Anyway thanks,it will,be a lot easier to just use the photocopy of her papers than trying to get a copy of the original.

Hello,look at my listings ALAAZO, MALT MAGIC, MASSIVE DRAMA, HALO NAJIB, E Z WARRIOR, ASPEN RIDGE... ** PASS INFO along....

I recommend you Breed her to either HALO NAJIB OR MASSIVE DRAMA in Indiana... Program is Excellent and i placed these 2 Stallion for ZAYAT STABLES along with 3 others.. You can Nick mare Free @ TRUENICKs.com

Contact myself If Anyt ..?? ok Also U can BId today until 8pm on Seasons for as Littlle as $250.. Yes $250 @ www.Starquine.com :D

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 am

SIXSAINT, for your information, the JC papers on the mare are required for the Indiana breeder's program. While the owner of this mare likely has a copy of the front of the JC papers, the ITOBA requires the front and the back, showing the breeder as the current owner of the mare.

You've been posting this same ALL CAPS SCREAMING everywhere and it is getting quite tiresome.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 am

madelyn wrote:SIXSAINT, for your information, the JC papers on the mare are required for the Indiana breeder's program. While the owner of this mare likely has a copy of the front of the JC papers, the ITOBA requires the front and the back, showing the breeder as the current owner of the mare.

You've been posting this same ALL CAPS SCREAMING everywhere and it is getting quite tiresome.

I apprecaite yr comments... Promoting in this Challenging time.. TOPSIRE LINES... thou..

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Roman Brother wrote:Thanks guys,I got her from her last owner,who raced her,I saw her on the track and had to have her!

There is no such thing as getting the papers stamped so they can't race again. The only thing that can be done to insure that won't happen is to turn the papers back into the jockey club as being sold without pedigree. That wipes them from the database and they can not be raced or bred to create registered TBs. If that is what they did you need to come to terms with an unregistered foal or move on to plan B. That is one thing there is no getting around.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 pm

If the papers were never turned into the Jockey Club, you well may be able to register a TB foal from your mare. You just need to know her registered name.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:59 pm

madelyn wrote:If the papers were never turned into the Jockey Club, you well may be able to register a TB foal from your mare. You just need to know her registered name.

Pretty much the only way you're going to find out - contact the Jockey Club and ask.