Is this mating too close??????????

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Touchy
Weanling

Postby Touchy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi,

It is my first visit to this part of the Mating Advice group.
Firstly, my moniker is Touchy and I live in Australia.
I have a mare called Cannycatchme (it is on Pedigreequery) she is by Canny Lad.
I was thinking of putting her to Al Samer, he by Redoubtes Choice.(also on Pedigreequery)
My question is this:-
1) do you think that the mating is too close?
2) do you think there is any better course to take?
3) do you think I am trying to duplicate too many horses?

Unlike my pseudonym, I am not "Touchy" and will welcome any advice.

Thanking those that answer in advance.
Cheers
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man." W.Churchill.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 am

G'day Mate,

Has your mare raced and won?

If you have a look at http://www.pedigreequery.com/mackunda
You will see that Redoutes Choice has been tried in this family here and the horse won 2 placed twice and won $17,600.

Maybe a son of Hussonet would suit more?

You should maybe contact these guys for some pedigree advice?
http://www.randwickbloodstock.com.au/index.php

They seem to get good results, best of luck.

Also the site
http://www.breedingracing.com/

has lots of information for the Aussie Breeder.

Touchy
Weanling

Is this breeding too close

Postby Touchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:36 pm

To Dublino,

Hi, and thanks for the additional information.

I have just told the people that are reducing their stock that I will take her.

She has had two trials, ran sixth in the first and second in the next.

It is more the Canny Lad feature of the pedigree that interests me, as he was a colonial bred, albiet from the Star Kingdom Line and from the Lunchtime mare line.

I knew about the Redoubtes Choice/Catchme horse, that is also why I wanted to intergrate the Canny Lad into the pedigree.

Looking at the Hypo Mating, it seems to me that it should work, as I have more female factors than male.

My endeavour is to breed a very good broodmare for the future.

Cheers

Touchy
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man." W.Churchill.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Is your plan to keep racing her, or send her straight to stud?

And are you limiting yourself to Vic, or would you consider NSW?

There isn't anything wrong with the level of inbreeding you would have with Al Samer, but I confess I don't know what exactly you are trying to achieve by that.

Some of the best results of Bletchingly-line horses (including Hurricane Sky and Show a Heart) have been with Nijinsky II--you might look for some of that. Also, if you're trying to breed a very good broodmare, you might look at incorporating Last Tycoon into the mix.

I note that Cannycatchme's second dam produced the very good racefilly Buckeye Search, by Meadowlake. If he is anywhere near your budget and range of feasibility, Mossman (by the sire of Meadowlake, with a Nijinsky son via Success Express) might be a shot.

If you want a Danehill son, you might look at Desert King.

Touchy
Weanling

Postby Touchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Kimberley,

Nice of you to post.

The idea of getting another strain of both Danzig (Male - Danehill) and Canny Lad, provided the foal is a filly, is funny enough to go to Tycoon Ruler (Last Tycoon x Rancho Ruler Mare).

Tycoon Ruler has mixed well with the Danzig Line, but has done even better with the #8, especially Catrail and members of the family containing both 8C and 8G.

I am currently waiting for the phone call to confirm my purchase, so I can pay the money directly into their account, and bring the mare home.

I will more than likely be sending her to Tasmania to race, and if she shows ability, she could also come back to Victoria.

Anyway I will look at your suggestions and see what they look like.

Cheers

progenytest
Suckling

Postby progenytest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Touchy,
All the inbreeding in the world will not make up for lack of prepotence ( to get stakes winners/high earners) in the sire.

But it may help. She is a very well bred mare.

A foal share to Hussonet would be ideal.
Linebreeding to her own, and Hussonet's family.

1st foal I ever bred was out of a mare tail female to Reckless Driver/Best in Show as 3rd Dam, bred to Umatilla (4% sw/foals) also 3rd dam to Best in show.

Colt has had 6 starts as a 2yr old (won 4), broken Wyong 1100m record by 1 second!! and equaled 2yr old 1200m class record at Wagga picking up $50000 Inglis bonus.
That mare never threw anything UNTIL linebred to her own 8f family.

That Umatilla colt is going to the Grafton Ramornie Hcp carnival in 3 weeks time for another 2yr old $50000 Inglis bonus race.

Remember, DAD has to be prepotent!!!

My opinion, Going to unproven and or failed sires is NO way to breed future broodmares ie wait and see on Al Samer and forget Tycoon Ruler

PS keep an eye on DOMESDAY. the next big stallion