Should I breed this mare?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

dkras
Yearling

Should I breed this mare?

Postby dkras » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I got a mare back recently that I used to own, a former rescue. I always liked her and I think she's a nice looking mare, she's a nice riding horse, etc. She had one foal previously that died (from starvation and cold weather). She only had one start herself, she spooked, the jockey lost his irons, and she was pulled up. Her female half of the pedigree is rather weak, from what I've been told. Her male half average.

Her name is Scoundrel, 1999, by Distinctive Pro out of Evil Heffy.

Don't know how to post a pic....but I have pics of her.

Always had a feeling about this mare... don't know if that's enough to go with!

Thanks!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:11 am

Unfortunately the mare has no commercial value as a racehorse broodmare. If you are breeding her to race the offspring yourself, you could buy a decent weanling for less than it would cost to get a foal on the ground out of Scoundrel (love her name. :) ) Plus, that way you could see what you're getting before investing any money.

I'm a big believer in going with your gut but in this case it will cost you quite a bit to go ahead and find out whether or not you're right.

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Yes, I was afraid of that. I already have 2 broodmares w/ foals by side, so I know about the expenses of that! I was hoping to get a good deal on a stallion for Scoundrel when I breed my stakes placed mare next year....but yeah, all the expenses add way up and you're right, a weanling will cost less than a yearling and hopefully be better bred.....

Just have this mare taking space on my small farmette so thought she could do something useful....but maybe I'll donate her to a rescue or good home to free the space up for a better mare. But it's tough when you're attached! :roll:

Thanks for your input!

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:30 pm

my thought would be that to breed a mare you'd have plans for the foal. as noted, the foal would sell as a race horse only 1. if you know how to develop athleticism in potential babies, and 2. the foal shows some ability. due to lack of pedigree it would probably have to be a private sale, but how can you tell there's lack of pedigree unless you understand pedigree.

breeding season is a few months a way and internet full of info. you can study up and decide. whether the horse races is only one part of the equation. if the horse has been mistreated, what sort of foal would she produce. congrats on taking care of her!

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the mare was not mistreated...just not fed well enough for a few months before I got her. I rescued her the first time in 03, had her a few years, sold her to a private home...now her owner is off to college and I have her back.

Here's some pics of her:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... bb69bdfa35

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 am

She's a nice looking mare. :)

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks! :)

IF, big IF, I am able to get a good deal on stallion fee, these are the boys I was thinking about for her (I'm in MD):

Partner's Hero
Deputy Storm
Dance w/ Ravens
Lion Hearted

Opinions?

Thanks again and I'm really enjoying this forum. So glad I found it!!

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:07 am

There may not be much of a "deal" on the stallions you listed, unless you have multiple mares or they offer an incentive to breeders again this year. For instance, last year, if you were only sending one mare, they would pair you up with other breeders to qualify for a discount. But beyond that (check their web site), you won't be able to wheel and deal much.

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks, yes, I do have another mare that I plan to send to Lion Hearted. Have to wait and see if they do the breeder's discount again.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:43 am

dkras wrote:Thanks, yes, I do have another mare that I plan to send to Lion Hearted. Have to wait and see if they do the breeder's discount again.

somewhere along the line i heard that lion hearted throws some soundness issues w/legs, feet. however, he's thrown quite a few older runners. thoughts?