Looking for son of A P Indy who's built like a quarter horse

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Looking for son of A P Indy who's built like a quarter horse

Postby Blue feather » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a mare that nicks well with the A P Indy line. She is built like a quarter horse and I want to bred to a similarly built stallion. I prefer a stallion in PA, MD or KY. Stallions I am considering are Jump Start, Stephen Got Even and Indygo Shiner. I haven't seen any of these sires except in pictures. If you have seen these stallions or other A P Indy's in person, I would love to hear your opinion.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Too bad you missed out on Master Command.

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:01 pm

I kinda think Barbican is built like a QH:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/stalli ... rbican.pdf

I've seen Scipion @ Murmur Farm. Nice stallion and his foals look good, nice personalities, and they look a lot like him. But, in my opinion, he isn't built like a QH.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 pm

How about Southern Success? By Dixieland Band, out of a daughter of A. P. Indy:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/southern+success

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I think Suave throws some pretty quarter horsey looking offspring.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:01 am

clh - I got to see INDYGO SHINER at Hill N'Dale late in June - where he was in 'quarantine' - presumabally to return to S. America for stud duties there? I never was able to connect with the Hill N'Dale staff so only viewed him standing in his stall. His stall was screened front and back and he was mildly curious as to my presence so - except for his feet - I was able to get a good 360 degree view of him.

He was very much the image of a QH stallion's muscularity on a TB's frame to this Texan's eyes: my overall impression was one of a very muscled, powerful physique - of a long bodied/rectangular framed horse that was built powerfully front and back. Funny thing is I just took a look at his 'stud' photo on this db and was surprised at how leggy and square framed he appears there? Obviously the life of a stallion has put a lot of bulk on his frame since that photo was taken...so maybe more 'nutrition' than muscle.

He has a good looking head - big muzzle with large nostrils, broad flat forehead with large, nice eyes, and he possesses a very wide jaw so plenty of airway. His neck is long enough but it sets a bit low into his chest - however it is not set low into his withers so while that wide base makes his neck appear a bit short in my opinion he has plenty of length to his neck. Looking at him head on he's wider across the chest than many/most? TBs and his barrel/ribs are well sprung. I liked his topline - broad, strong and flat - not in the least dippy backed. It tied in well to his HUGE hips. He is not apple butted like a QH having more of the deep hip from his pedigree's Nasrullah influences. His upper forelegs and hindquarters were well muscled and set in at all four corners so this stallion has a good solid base under him and his legs' substance or bone appeared proportionate to his bulk - not spindly. I couldn't really see his fetlocks/feet clearly because the hay he was standing in was so deep in the stall and I was forced to look 'down' at them rather than from a perpendicular view - so no comment there. To these eyes he gave off more of an impression like the Secretariat in his pedigree than of the Seattle Slew to my eyes. (I've never seen his famous sire, A.P. Indy so have no idea if he takes after him or not?) He's certainly done well with the S. American mares he was bred to and the two N.A. colts I've seen of his are standouts - very much stamped by their sire.

<SIGH> really made me wish I'd bred my mare to him last spring when I had the chance......

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Malabu Moon??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]