Mating advice for new mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Pav
2yo Maiden

Mating advice for new mare

Postby Pav » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I picked up a new mare at the Wygods dispersal at Barretts here in CA. Her name is Fantasy Rocks. She is by Rock Hard Ten out of a Storm Cat mare. She is very young (only 3), unraced, and was actually bred at 2 (something I don't like). She is currently in foal to Bertrando. She is a nice sized mare, but very crooked (toes out) in her left front.

I'm starting to think about breeding plans for next year. Looking for advice on CA stallions that may cross well with her. I think stallion conformation will be important as she doesn't have the best herself. Primarily a breed to race operation, but commercial appeal is always a plus.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thx,
Pav

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 pm

You got a really nice mare at a bargain price, and her Bertrando foal should also be nice. What a nice pedigree to play around with.
Do you have price constraints? I'd stay away from all the Storm Cat stallions in the state.
Do a hypo with Minister's Wild Cat. Too much inbreeding for me, but you don't see that too much in CA, really interesting.
She is 4x5 Northern Dancer, 4x5 Hail to Reason, and 4x5 Secretariat, so I'd be careful on how much more of those stallions, if any, you introduce into the mating.
Good luck to you. Planning the breeding is so much fun.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:23 pm

I like her with Bertrando.... nicely done!