Can use some suggestions on who to breed this mare to

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Can use some suggestions on who to breed this mare to

Postby wgc517 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi All,

I picked up this mare recently and would like to get some opinions on who to breed her to. Her name is Pining. I am located in Pennsylvania and would like to breed to a Pa sire if possible but would consider a MD or NY sire also. Thanks in advance.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Ironically, she is of a family that we look for, for our one stallion. We were looking at one of her dam's half-sisters a couple years ago.

However, if you are looking for a shot at a foal that will not only run, but sell well at auction, our stallion is not your guy. But one of her 1/2 sisters produced blacktype crossed on Lite The Fuse & that foal might sell. Or run.

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 pm

I'd consider E Dubai if you want to stay in PA. While there is RAN through Affirmed, there is no Mr. P in your mare and he should cross with your ND.

I'd also be inclined to look for another line of Cosmah, but I don't believe it's in PA. There are some options in most budgets in KY, and some in your region, however.

Really like your mare's pedigree. She should be fun to plan matings for.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:07 am

Hard to look past Lite the Fuse as a horse who will get you a runner, but if you're willing to go with a new guy, have a look at Ecclesiastic.

If Sort It Out is still in PA, he's worth a look on pedigree alone. Pining has *Bois Roussel through Pine Bluff's female line--that's one of the single most important pedigree strains for Roberto out there and success in crossing them pops up over and over and over. He also would bring in a full sister to Exclusive, through Out of Place's dam, a cross which wasn't tried often but when it did it got a Gr-2 winner.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:10 am

deleted double post

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Help with th is mare

Postby wgc517 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:46 am

Kimberly,

I don't think Sort It Out is in PA anymore. Maybe someone on the board can help find him.

Were you saying that Lite the Fuse is a good match for her pedigree or that no matter who LTF mates with he always throws runners? I like Ecclesiatics but not sure I want to go with an unproven for this horse.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:59 pm

You will be sending your mare a l-o-o-o-o-ng way if you want to breed to Sort it Out ... he's in Russia!

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:37 pm

wgc517

The ones I looked at that I thought would be good turned out not so good, but, the two that I recommend both have produced well with daughters of sons of Danzig. The problem is they both have a fee of $10K. E. Dubai has established himself as a decent sire of race horses and capable of siring the big horse. I really like Pining with Smarty Jones. Now I know Smarty did not do all that well in Kentucky but he will be the king of Pennsylvania, of that I am sure. He has produced some fine runners from daughters of Danzig and sons of Danzig. With Smarty True Nicks rates it A++ if you are into that scene.

DDT

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Help with th is mare

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:20 pm

wgc517 wrote:Kimberly,

Were you saying that Lite the Fuse is a good match for her pedigree or that no matter who LTF mates with he always throws runners? I like Ecclesiatics but not sure I want to go with an unproven for this horse.

You have a horse in Pining's immediate family who produced a stakes horse to Lite the Fuse, and he's also one of those horses who throws runners. I've described him before as a poor man's Montbrook, and I think that's a good description for him.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

help with this mare

Postby wgc517 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 pm

thanks Kimberley mine

I will put him on the list. I am trying to find a couple of good matches and then break it down from there. Will give this a bump and hope I get a few more. Thanks for the explanation also.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I think your mare has enough H Northern dancer and native dancer line-breedings..

my suggestion is to look for a complete out-cross.. Go For Gin would give y0u a Maryland Sired eligible for the Maryland Millions, PABRED and maybe Delaware Certified.

Bop has a cross to Mr. P but it's back a ways and he set three track records and tied the worlds record for 5 furlongs.. Also, he's prodicing stakes horses. WVSIRED; PABRED & Delaware Certified

Also, Gunnerside, the last son of seattle Slew who is standing in WV would give you a complete out cross. I have a 2010 Gunnerside filly out of an inbred 3S x 4D to Mr. P that I like very much.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Griff, Kimberley and others

BOP is definitely interesting.

What are your thoughts on Street Magician or Barbican? They are both interesting. The pedigree has so much but I can't seem to find something that jumps out.

JDufort
Suckling

Mountain Top

Postby JDufort » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 pm

If you are not planning for the sales, I really like Mountain Top, at Hidden Echo Farm

The Cox's Ridge/Pine Bluff cross has worked very well in the past, and is a favorite cross of mine. Also, you would happen to be getting the same tail female family number with him, which we have also had very good results with. I haven't seen Mountain Top, so have no comment about his physical. However, we work alot with cox's ridge through his son Vanlandingham, and they have all been good size horses with plenty of bone and have all been very sound.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... dam=PINING

Johanna

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Re: Mountain Top

Postby KBEquine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am

JDufort wrote:If you are not planning for the sales, I really like Mountain Top, at Hidden Echo Farm

The Cox's Ridge/Pine Bluff cross has worked very well in the past, and is a favorite cross of mine. Also, you would happen to be getting the same tail female family number with him, which we have also had very good results with. I haven't seen Mountain Top, so have no comment about his physical. However, we work alot with cox's ridge through his son Vanlandingham, and they have all been good size horses with plenty of bone and have all been very sound.

Johanna

KBEquine wrote:Ironically, she is of a family that we look for, for our one stallion. We were looking at one of her dam's half-sisters a couple years ago.

However, if you are looking for a shot at a foal that will not only run, but sell well at auction, our stallion is not your guy.

Johanna, thanks for the good words on the cross to Mountain Top. Actually, he is exactly who I was referring to, in the above post - and for the same reasons you've mentioned. I just called him "our one stallion" instead of Mountain Top.

I apologize for being so bad at sizing pictures for this forum, but below is Mountain Top, 16.2 & a racehorse who stayed sound enough for 49 starts & was fast enough for success in graded stakes company (and is now owned by someone who wasn't smart enough to get his feet done, before taking pictures :oops:).

SemparQuel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SemparQuel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:12 am

I agree for trying a total outcross.
IMO you ought go to a strong runner, producer of runners.
My advice is for Delaware Township, standing in PA