Afternnon Deelites

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

griff
Leading Sire

Afternnon Deelites

Postby griff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 am

Thinking about moving a mare to NW FL and have her foal in Lousiana.. Will appreciae your thoughtsb on breeding Hot Concern to Sfternoon Deelites.

Other Louisane stallions??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 am

make that Afternoon Deelites.

I like the Ack Ack line breeding.

griff

hpkingjr

Ack Ack inbreeding

Postby hpkingjr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 am

When I checked the database, there were 20 listed, one stakes winner, and one with Afternoon Deelites as a sire. Woogin turned out pretty nice.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... _font=1&l=
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 am

If you are going to LA how about IDE, the Mr P worked with one of your mares babies Hotel Sierra.

Have you considered Concord Point in KY?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Hotel Sierra came in 2nd his first time out. Got beat up in his 2nd race and won his third. Took and held the # 1 position from the gate to the wire; it was a good day to be at the track.

I though we might have a good meat and potatoes horse and then he developed chips in his ankles.. Took the chips out and gave him a nice long rest but he has not regained his prior speed. He did run a nice race last time out.. Got banged up coming out of the gate amd was 6 or 8 lengths behind the last horse half way down the back stretch. Made a hell of a move in the turn to home and down the stretch and took a close 4th.. However, 4th does not put any bread on the table, much less meat.

I've had chipped knees or chipped ankles in ever horse I've ever raced at CTown. I know part of that is probably the track especially that tight turn to home, but other horses are racing there w/o this problem.

I think the Mr. P inbreeding might also be a contributing problem.

Hot Concern is in foal to Gunnerside [by Seattle Slew] for late February and this is a complete out cross.. I have the 2 YO full brother to HC's February 2011 Gunnerside foal and will put him in training this fall or winter. He is why I bred HC back to Gunnerside.

griff

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey Griff

You might want to take a look at Intimidator in La. He has had a phenomenal start as a 2yo. Or maybe better, his brother Marsh Side (G1 winner of $2.5 mil) in NY. Both reasonably priced. Check out the Stallion thread on this if you're interested. Would get Mr P top and bottom though. Looking at Hot Concern, there is a little more distance in the pedigree so breeding to a distance horse like Marsh Side might get you out of the CT bull ring.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks Joltman

I'm surprised that Marsh Side is standing in NY instead of KY and the 3S X 4D to Mr. P might be worth the risk but I'm looking for a LA stallion for HC this year..

Or, if she stays in WV I'll probably take her to Gunnerside again or maybe try Limit out

Thanks anyway.

griff

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Marsh Sides full brother is Intimidator, standing in LA for $1500. Already has 2 SW, 1 sp. Leading La juvenile sire. His AEI is 40% better than the comparable index. Having success early will enable breeders to focus on successful patterns that have worked.

Worth a look if she's going south.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 am

Thanks Joltman

not much of a race record but I like the Intimidator X hot Concern nick and he will be the one if she goes to NW FL..

I do have to admit that I am not a fan of chrome, especially on the nose where the pink shin needs sunscreen or it will blister.

griff