Jade Hunter

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

20dourmdd
Maiden Special Weight

Jade Hunter

Postby 20dourmdd » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Any Ideas on breeding a mare that is by a full brother to Jade Hunter? Jade Hunter was a good broodmare sire...What sires matched up with his broodmares? This mare is big, lots of bone, and could run a little (Charming Heiress) She is in Pa. would like to look at FREE BREEDING!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Re: Jade Hunter

Postby LB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:04 pm

20dourmdd wrote: She is in Pa. would like to look at FREE BREEDING!

Breeding is never free, no matter how much or how little you pay for the stud fee. :wink:

20dourmdd
Maiden Special Weight

LB

Postby 20dourmdd » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Sometimes with as many studs that are coming into Pa. there may be one that meets the requirements for CH that needs a good mare with the La T direct female line. I have never paid full price for any breeding that I have done with my mares and we have done reasonably well with the off-spring. She has a colt that will be racing at MNR by Morluc this coming year that looks very promising. Lost twins in early Nov. that vet didn't catch, but she is fine health wise. But we want a good stud free or reduced that matches her physically, and would like to increase LaT a number of times in the pedigree if possible.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Harry the Hat traces to La Troienne. Stands at Castle Rock Farm in West Chester.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 am

I'll put forward a controversial possibility (for those of you who hate close inbreeding, close yer eyes!)

Tunis is another Jade Hunter horse and a half brother to Fraise. He's inexpensive, appears to have good conformation, and you get an interesting inbreeding to Jade Hunter and his full sibling. And it appears to be within her price range.

Word of warning... this foal will NOT be a commerical foal. Ask yourself long and hard what you intend to do before the mating.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Okay, answering strictly the question asked - which is help finding inexpensive MidAtlantic (preferably PA) stallions who will return the blood of La Troienne - looking purely at crosses to La Troienne & not looking at commercial value or whether these stallions are otherwise a good match with Charming Heiress.

The PA Horse Breeders are having their stallion season auction on thoroughlybred.com Thurs. through Sat. (I believe). Each of the below stallions stands either in PA or, in one case, MD, and have a starting bid of $500. So in theory, each is a possible inexpensive breeding (although I'm pretty sure a couple will go a lot higher).

Arranged in alphabetical order are the ones in the auction who (on a quick glance) have at least one cross to La Troienne -

(But note that both Smarty Jones & Wiseman's Ferry are tail-female to La Troienne & that Smarty goes through Baby League, just like Charming Heiress). Here is the list of stallions on the auction who go to La Troienne & which daughters/sons they go through. There are plenty of other horses on the auction, too, but I didn't include them because they don't return the bloodline that was requested:

Albert The Great -
Black Helen
Businesslike

Barbican
Businesslike
Baby League (twice)

Baronial (out of Personal Ensign, by Kingmambo who is out of Miesque)
Baby League
Businesslike

Capitano
Big Hurry

Cat Thief
Bimelech

Dance With Ravens
Businesslike
Baby League (twice)

Duckhorn (by Not For Love, to whom people have bred for years, to add more 1-x)
Businesslike
Baby League

Ecclesiastic
Big Event
Bimelech
Businesslike
Baby League (twice)

Eurosilver
Bimelech (twice)
Businesslike

Grand Reward
Belle of Troy

Jump Start
Businesslike (twice)
Baby League (twice)

Lite The Fuse
Businesslike
Bimelech

Monba
Better Self
Big Hurry
Businesslike (twice)
Bimelech

Partner's Hero
Baby League

Rubiyat
Bimelech

Sir Shackleton
Businesslike

Smarty Jones (tail female – just like Charming Heiress)
Baby League
Big Hurry

Wiseman's Ferry (tail female 1-x)
Businesslike