Another view of nicks

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Roger
Grade I Winner

Another view of nicks

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:38 pm

I finally got me a copy of Bowen's " Dynasties" its great reading. I love his thought on nicks. "The thought has often occurred, and does again, that there is no other nick quite so good--nor less mysterious---as Quality on Class and vice versa"
Maybe this explains why my off bred mares and cheap stallions fail to produce what I might hope :D even when the A++ nicks with their great grand sires.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 am

In the computer world, there's the GIGO philosophy which I think can probably apply to many other endeavors, including horse breeding ... garbage in, garbage out. :wink:
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:09 am

Or they are drastically different physicals :o

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Tappiano wrote:Or they are drastically different physicals :o

I use to worry about breeding little mares to big stallions, but I think it was Selene who was a smallish mare who hit big. Poor little Northern Dancer did well with all types of mares. This is a whole new thread that I'm stealing from me.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness

Try it you will like it.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:09 pm

I was referring to thee relatives being drastically different and therefore producing or siring foals with different characteristics. There are so many variables.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 pm

The problem with those A++ nicks is that they ignore 75% of the pedigree. The rating is based on results of the sire line over the broodmare sireline. It ignores the sire's damline as well as the broodmare's damline. It is using only 25% of the gene pool in a mating.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Roger wrote:
Tappiano wrote:Or they are drastically different physicals :o

I use to worry about breeding little mares to big stallions, but I think it was Selene who was a smallish mare who hit big. Poor little Northern Dancer did well with all types of mares. This is a whole new thread that I'm stealing from me.

Eh, not just size, though. If you have a big, heavy, coarse type of mare, you might not want to breed her to a horse who doesn't pass on good bone. Or you might have a mare who has the long flat body and dinner plate feet of a turf runner, and don't want to put her to a stocky blocky.