Could really use some help with a stallion!

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:28 pm

He is unproven, and the direct nick is not stellar, but the a good mating on paper at least for her in the price range you are looking at is Istan.

If you are after a good nick and again, an unproven horse, the other to consider would be Purim.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Love the Congarees- I'm jealous!

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

If you aren't familiar with MareMatch by Werk, they can give you some good hints (and its free). You can enter your mare's name and the location of the stud you are looking for, and it will give you a list of stallions with a B+ or better nick and their ratings against your mare.

When I did a search using your mare from 0-10K in Kentucky (I used the higher figure because you might be able to get a deal on one of the 10K stallions), Artie Schiller and Point Given both scored high A nicks. Bellamy Road and Borrego also scored high, as did Belong to Me.

I was intrigued by the Artie Schiller nick. He was an outstanding miler, as was Congaree, so you might be able to reinforce that in your mare. Artie has had some stakes horses and they appear to be stretching out and improving with age, as did Congaree. If he gets a few good ones between now and when your foal is born, the foal might even be commercial.

Have fun and best wishes with your mare! Let us know what you decide! 8)

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am

Size, size, size... BR is huge, as are the Pleasant Colony and Dynaformers.

I bring that up because if you have a really small mare I (MY opinion) would not go to them, and by the same token since I (yes ME) have a BIG mare, I would NOT want to go to a bigger stallion.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Sierra
Yearling

Postby Sierra » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 pm

It is hard enough to sell a mare/foal here in CA, so you will want to give your girl the best commercial appeal possible by sending her to a KY stallion that CA breeders/owners are familiar with: Pleasantly Perfect.

On top of being a lot of horse for just $7,500 (!), he is the sire of the CA G1 runners Cozi Rosie and Setsuko, and he himself was based in CA, even winning the BC Classic in front of a hometown crowd at Santa Anita. Cozi Rosie has huge upside, and should run in major races the rest of 2011. Jury's still out on Setsuko, but he is at least one handsome devil.

Good luck with your decision.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks guys! All are great options. Any thoughts on Thunder Gulch with this mare? Point Given nicks an A+, while his sire, Thunder Gulch nicks a D. I don't get it, hmm. And yes, I understand that Thunder Gulch is small and needs a bigger mare. I think this mare will do just fine with him. Any thoughts? He's having a pretty good year with a few of his colts on the Derby trail.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Nobody has thoughts on Thunder Gulch rather than his son Point Given?

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 pm

I like Point Given, but have you also looked at Offlee Wild?

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 am

Thought I'd share my new mare with you guys! If all else fails, she retired sound and she's a cute thing and she'll make a fun show horse!

[img][img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/vallygirl927/CongaQueenBody.jpg[/img][/img]

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 pm

That's my Conga Girl! She looks great!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development