what do you think about breeding this mare?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 am

speaking of Turkoman, he has some decent numbers as a broodmare sire. Sire of dams of 47 black-type winners, including champions Point Given, Mister Fanucci, Running Back, and of Hard Spun, Colonel John, Pleasant Breeze, Hotstufanthensome, Turkish Prize, Purely Cozzene, Night Caller, Borrowing Base, David, Fraterno.

One of his daughters, the dam of Point Given, was named broodmare of the year too.

Okey, I'm actually warming up a little to this idea. And that's what got me in trouble in the first place.... I can see the possibilites on so many of these potential matings and then the market won't support them.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 am

To the OP,

I'm not sure where you are, but if you want to breed a chaser, you might have a look at Salute the Truth (JC registered name: Boy Done Good).

http://www.dodonfarm.com/willy1.html

This horse competed as an advanced level 3-day eventer, and is of a good bloodline and excellent physical type for chasing. His daughter Farah T Salute is a stakes winner over jumps.

The foal would likely have residual value as a hunter, jumper, or eventer.

Edit to add: you're in Maryland--he's in the same state.

OkeyDokeySmokey
Newborn

Postby OkeyDokeySmokey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

My dream is another Cool Dawn -an amateur point to point horse that turns out to be good enough I need to get a real jockey. I have V because she looked like a good candidate before she kicked a gate, got a hock infection and spent 2 weeks at New Bolton. Turkoman is reputed to be a good steeplchase sire, at least in hunt circles.

V is big but not what I would call gangly. Always knows where her feet are, stops on a dime, super super coordinated. And tireless. Needs 4 slow miles 2-3x week just to tone down the energy levels. Was 3-legged for over a year after injury but now pretty sure she will be hunting sound, but pt 2 pt very questionable.

Right now I have a Smoke Glacken gelding (Hot Reels) training to event with Steph Butts (CCI 3-star and mom Gretchen did Rolex, Burleigh) because I don't think I can race a young greenie safely, so he has to become a reasonably solid horse and I think eventing will give him this. This foal, if I bred, would be his successor in 5-6 years.

Prized has a full brother (Knife Edge I think?) who was a good chaser, and I did know he was most successful in New Zealand - I took that to be agood thing as I have heard, again from hunt people, that New Zealand-breds often make good point to pointers.

Prized looked to be about 16.1, and alot better looking than the pic on the OSullivan Farms website - more well-proportioned, not really downhill the way he looks in the pic, and his neck is well-balanced not stubby like the pic. He looked like ahorse that won a few million, even at 25.

I got V from Canter and they discourage breeding unless the horse has no other options, but they don't disallow it.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Call me an enabler, but I really like Prized & think you're on to something. IF he can still stop his mares, at his age.

I saw him last year & he still looked great. Just have a "Plan B" for the foal, should you & I be wrong - because he may improve his mares, but his sales figures are mostly dismal, so you will definitely have to fund the horse's performance career, in my opinion.

Good luck!

OkeyDokeySmokey
Newborn

Postby OkeyDokeySmokey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 am

I'm very glad to get all your input.

I was really curious as to whether her foals had any commercial value and am satisfied from all you guys have said that they don't.

But it also sounds like people think Prized could be a goodt choice if I really want to breed my own prospect.

Thanks!