strictly hypothetically speaking

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

springboro
Grade II Winner

strictly hypothetically speaking

Postby springboro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:57 pm

I am fascinated by this mare, and her lack of luck in production.

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-362126

Ok, i know that St. Jovite has his haters, but the horse could run. As a sire, I know, I know. But his full brother did quite well at stud, and I was hoping St. Jovite will emerge as a broodmare sire of some ability.

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov10/pdfs/4074.pdf

But that female family.... look at her 1st dam and 1/2 brothers!

So the experiment, 'cause I have no intention of buying this mare at $3000, is to find the PERFECT sire for her to resurrect her foals' quality.

Wasn't it George Smith who was so adept at this? If you're reading this, George, .... it's a great challenge! Plus George would be very familiar with St. Jovite too.

What I observe is that this family appears to do extremely well with the more robust runners like Pleasant Colony and Cormorant. Perhaps that was the hope when breeding to a son of Pleasant Colony.

Would you try to add speed at this point? I would love to see the Point Given foal this mare had. Seems ideal.

I have a few ideas, but I'm more intrigued with what you all think.

Who would most improve this mare? Has to be a living stallion standing at stud in the US or Canada. Ok, I'd agree to allow European stallions too.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:06 pm

it appears that the 2008 Faradiba, by Quiet American, broke her maiden at first asking

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 pm

I like Quite American with her but don't even know if he's still available...

Also like Not For Love with her, very much

The NFL would be MDSIRED and eligible for the Maryland Millians, could also be PABRED, Delaware Certified and WV Raised which opens the door to many special perks.

giff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I cannot find the 2005 (Point Given) or 2008 (Quiet American) foals at Equibase.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:00 am

Sold for $1k at Kee in Nov. 10. Must be a major issue with her.

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov10/pdfs/4074.pdf

I've seen worse produce records. Being under 16 h, needs something appropriate. She's an outcross to ND. Certainly there are things worth trying - Rasmussen crosses perhaps.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Joltman,

Major issue such as what? The seller said she has NO problems. However, the 2010 foal died at birth. Any idea besides lack of production, why she would have sold so cheap @ auction?

Thanks!

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 pm

She's been a very disappointing producer and is by a stallion that lacks any commercial appeal or hype as a broodmare sire and she was in foal on a rather late cover to a stallion that has also lost commercial appeal, and there's been no major updates in the immediate family for quite some time... she brought about what I would think she would, regardless of her physical.

There's not a lot of room in the market for mares like this. But she is beautifully bred.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 am

dkras wrote:Joltman,

Major issue such as what? The seller said she has NO problems. However, the 2010 foal died at birth. Any idea besides lack of production, why she would have sold so cheap @ auction?

Thanks!

No clue... but with that page I would think she was worth 10x that. She's not THAT old. Conformation? Maybe foundered, cribber or something??? Trouble delivering of course is a downer, maybe something systemic. She's certainly worth a try - breed to something VERY different than what's been tried so far. There are a lot of La Troienne line stallions that could be emphasized. IF St. Jovite has been BM sire of anything decent, look at that perhaps.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.