Looking for Suggestions

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

texas tea
Weanling

Looking for Suggestions

Postby texas tea » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:56 am

I have 2 mares/fillies that I may breed this coming season. Looking for suggestions. Stud fee budget would be up to $30K each.

Oh Whata Holiday, winner of $116K by Harlans Holiday out of Just About Time.

Seeking Destiny, unraced, by Ford Every Stream out of Destiny Calls

Thanks,
Texas Tea

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:47 am

Where are you, where are the mares, and what were their racing aptitudes?

texas tea
Weanling

Breeding suggestions

Postby texas tea » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 am

kimberley mine wrote:Where are you, where are the mares, and what were their racing aptitudes?

I am in Texas, mares are in Louisiana. Seeking Destiny not raced. Oh Whata Holiday's won on grass and dirt, 6f to 7f.
Thanks,
Texas tea

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 pm

The usual questions - breed to race or breed commercially.

If you have $35k for each, that's great. Since I don't see any big time black type close up and the second filly was unraced - by a sire basically unknown, I don't think it wise to go to $35k when there are some real quality sires for half that. (city Zip) Alternatively you might go to the Nov sales in Ky and get a SW or SP dam possibly already in foal for that kind of money. Just my humble opinion.

my first impression for Oh What a holiday is that there is a lot of inbreeding already. The one guy missing is Mr. P, so maybe look to one in the Mr. P line, like Roman Ruler. Or maybe its time for an outcross. I think Harlans Holiday has good potential as a broodmare sire.

Seeking Destiny - some nice female family going back a piece. Maybe the Fappiano line can catch something with that line. (signal Tap) She's only two now, so I'm not sure about breeding even before she is actually 3. No chance of running to improve her page I gather? Let her finish growing. You may want to decide in part on her physical type.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:57 pm

My first thought for Oh Whata Holiday was the polar opposite of Joltman's....go for a horse who carries more of the same strain she is inbred to AND throws hard to that line.

Put It Back is a lot of horse for $5k and is throwing HARD to clusters of Mahmoud, Bold Ruler, and Damascus. Montbrook is another very good horse at a reasonable price who appreciates plenty of Bold Ruler in his mares. Nine of his top ten earners have a Bold Ruler line, and he is also throwing to genetic siblings of the Bold Ruler/Princequillo or Nasrullah/My Babu (e.g. Iron Ruler) cross.

As for Seeking Destiny, she is unraced by a sire who has not distinguished himself. Buying a good mare in foal or a weanling is probably a better way to make money...but if you do want to breed her, I'd suggest staying in Louisiana to maximise the breeders'/owners' bonuses. Smooth Air is unproven but fast fast fast, a second-place finish in the Met Mile away from standing in Kentucky, out of a French Deputy mare--French Deputy being one of the three best sources of pure speed around, the others being In Excess and Hasili--who has now produced two graded stakes winners out of six named foals.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

take your $60k and start attending high end sales

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]