Would you mate these two on pedigree only

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Roger
Grade I Winner

Would you mate these two on pedigree only

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Total Command X Oh Baby Oh Baby Oh
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 am

way way too much inbreeding for my blood.... it's virtually the same pedigree on top and bottom with Storm Cat and Affirmed.

Or are you hinting at the possibly salacious naming possibilities of these two? The mind does reel, indeed!

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 am

The reason I like this pair together is the breeding pattern. Two like pedigrees from different individuals. I really like Bernstein!! I'm not too creative with names, but these two would make my job much easier :D Thanks.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness

Try it you will like it.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:49 am

springboro wrote:way way too much inbreeding for my blood.... it's virtually the same pedigree on top and bottom with Storm Cat and Affirmed.

Or are you hinting at the possibly salacious naming possibilities of these two? The mind does reel, indeed!

ditto IMHO

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am

Roger, nice mare! A drive by cliche' response of 'to close' is an easy knee jerk amateur response, but a student of pedigree can have another perspective.

Overshadowing the Storm Cat linebreeding is the Northern Dancer linebreeding.

Total Command is 4x3 ND through a son and daughter, and then Oh Baby Oh Baby Oh is 4x4 ND through two sons.

Both Total Command and your mare are evidence that line breeding to Northern Dancer can be successful, so the possibility exists than line breeding to Northern Dancer through these two will again be successful.

That Almamoud just loves returns to herself, again and again and again and again. Your mare also brings extra Mahmoud through Gray Flight and Oil Capital, she likes returns of Mahmoud also, and that Blue Larkspur that your mare brings along on the bottom line of the pedigree, Almamoud loves Blue Larkspur too.

So hey Roger, go for it and give this mating a try, regardless of any linebreeding, you will be returning the best of the sire's dam to the mix, the Affirmed.

Go for it.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

Jeff, perhaps there is a kinder way to state your opinion without using a reference like "easy knee jerk amateur response" when quoting earlier thoughts. I bet Joltman will agree with me on that one; seems a bit uncalled for. Civil discussion, please.

I happen to consider myself a student of pedigree as well.

just my two cents

and it's "too" with two o's ;)

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Springboro,

Pedigree analysts take joy and pleasure in the horse, joy and pleasure in the pedigree, have great hopes and wish well for the horse, the owner and his connections.

Just judging from your resonse to my post about my mare and your response to Rogers post about his mare, i think i put the right peg in the right hole.

It's no wonder more people don't post here and ask questions. They can't expect friendly discourse, they are more likely to get a troll bite.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm

This inbreeding will appear far enough back in the resulting foal to at least guarantee only two ears, two eyes, four legs, etc. :lol: I will say that is just a LOT of Northern Dancer!!

I know that this kind of inbreeding was quite common in TB's a hundred years ago or so, and is today quite profuse in QH's - I think what I would consider is not just the inbreeding, for its own sake, but also a really good physical matchup of like individuals with similar talent, if they are both talented. Best of luck!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Jeff, I rarely get too riled up, but as far as examining pedigrees, I know enough to know a jackass when I see one. You won't hear another peep from me to your postings.

You're the type of person who discourages me from posting.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Madelyn,

I agree, that's a lot of Northern Dancer! All that inbreeding to any other horse probably wouldn't work, but there are so many examples of close ND linebteeding making a good runner that it's at least something worth considering.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am

Too Much Bling
Edited by Moderator

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 am

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... azuela&g=5

Midas Eyes X Vanillazuela

Here's one I found on line by chance, 5x5x5x5 Northern Dancer, just goes to show that lots of linebreeding to ND is going on out there, don't know whatever happened to this guy, he doesn't show up on pedigreequery, but looking at the video, he's certainly a BIG, nice looking colt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJjeP9bOHs

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 am

It was brought to my attention that lots of almahmoud didn't do Prospected much good, but I'd have to say look at
http://www.pedigreequery.com/fifty+oner

51er his 1/2 brother, even more returns to almahmoud did him wonderful.

Equipoise28
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Equipoise28 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 am

It doesn't seem to have hurt Sweeter Still. 4x4x4x5 Northern Dancer

http://www.pedigreequery.com/sweeter+still4

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 am

Jeff wrote:It was brought to my attention that lots of almahmoud didn't do Prospected much good, but I'd have to say look at
http://www.pedigreequery.com/fifty+oner

51er his 1/2 brother, even more returns to almahmoud did him wonderful.

Just my little humble opinion that War Admiral helped even though it's not in the first 5 generations :D and/or showing Danzig and Hoist The Flag in the first five. :D