Opinion on Miss Van Gogh with Magna Graduate

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jackrat
Newborn

Opinion on Miss Van Gogh with Magna Graduate

Postby jackrat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 pm

I have been offered complimentary breedings based on Goldmine. Looks good to me, but would like some final opinions before I sign. I appreciate your input.

Magna Graduate X Miss Van Gogh by Vindication(Seattle Slew)

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:11 am

Two opposing types of stallions: one, a tough distance horse, the other a precocious but probably unsound sprinter. Depending on your objectives either one isnt a bad choice from a pedigree standpoint, IMO.

Of course, both are unproven stallions so no one knows if they will reproduce in their images. Neither is commercially viable right now but by the time your foal is a yearling that issue should be fairly settled.

Have you seen these stallions? You really need to have a good idea what strengths and weaknesses each of them, as well as your mare, bring to the equation. I've seen RUNAWAY AND HIDE and like him. He isn't perfect in the front leg department, however. Lots of leg and good quarters. If your mare is small he would be my choice from a structural view. The other horse is advertised as several inches shorter.

I was at Darby Dan yesterday looking at AMERICAN LION and TALE OF THE EKATI (again) and would have taken a peak at the other two if I had read your post earlier. My only caveat to you is that racehorses dont run off their paper matings--you need to have the sound physical athlete to make money.

jackrat
Newborn

Thanks for your reply Barcladine

Postby jackrat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 am

I plan on going down to see them this weekend. Both my mares were hard knockers and ended their primes relatively sound. Unfortunately they were pounded past their primes and Miss Van Gogh got huge osselets, but the rest of both their joints held up. Miss Southern Sand especially held up nicely after 6 years of racing. I had read that Mr. Prospectors usually contribute soundness problems so I'm hoping Miss Southern Sand's outcross will help.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:24 am

I notice that Miss Southern Sand is sired by Level Sands. You may know that his bad temperament is something of a legend. I've always thought that breeders need to pay more attention to this attribute for several reasons: 1) temperamental horses are tougher to raise without accident; 2) they are more prone to being hurt at the track, either by impatient humans or injury. Having said that I have two yearlings which are inbred 3 x 3 Storm Cat but are also the most level-headed babies on the farm. Both dams are, too.

In the end anyone who breeds needs to look at a host of factors which impact a foal's make-up. That's only a part of the reason why I object so strenuously to these drive-thru pedigree products which promote a false sense of security, often with misleading information.

jackrat
Newborn

Nicking

Postby jackrat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:15 pm

The nicking programs just assist you to look for patterns. Only millionaires can afford to reinvent the wheel. In the end the breeder has to evaluate the suggested pattern.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Feel free to waste your money in any manner you wish.

jackrat
Newborn

Postby jackrat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Wow that wasn't a very helpful response.