breeding back to same stallion ?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

reenci
Grade II Winner

breeding back to same stallion ?

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:21 am

i want to pose a question.....ive bred a mare to stallion "x"....the resulting foal is the best ive ever bred , attitude, conformation wise ect....i have waited til this foal was 2yo all indications are from breaking and training are that this one could be the real deal...that being said should i send the mare back to "x" for another try ? i ask this because as a rule ive never done this ..always going to another stallion....this would only be this mares second foal....what do you all think ?
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:34 pm

If you are really in love with the baby, why WOULDN'T you send the mare back to the same stallion?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi,

I would run her back to stallion X as soon as she comes in heat. True
lightening doesn't always strike twice but hey if you like what you got the
first go round it certainly seems the way to go.
JimP
White Cat Farm
[email protected]

"the gene pool could use a little chlorine"

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 pm

madelyn wrote:If you are really in love with the baby, why WOULDN'T you send the mare back to the same stallion?

the only reason i can come up with is jimp's reason...lighting strikinging twice is rare...but the upside if the 2yo is as good as i think could be good ...{selling as a NYB}...thanks for the comments ...i guess i just had to hear it from someone other than myself... :wink:
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 pm

now if only the 2yo can out run a fat man i will be good... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Here is an article in the Bloodhorse mag about breeding back to the same stallion.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -and-again

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 pm

thank's :)

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm

One of my partners once told me that he had 4 children and all four had the same pedigree and all four were totally different.

I told him there was probably not much line-breeding in either or his wife's pedigree

And that if looked real hard he could probably find some common trates.

I believe Secretariat has several full siblings and while none were Secretariat, I'll bet all were pretty good horses.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Look at what Hasili produced with multiple visits to Danehill. :)

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 pm

reenci wrote:
madelyn wrote:If you are really in love with the baby, why WOULDN'T you send the mare back to the same stallion?

the only reason i can come up with is jimp's reason...lighting strikinging twice is rare...but the upside if the 2yo is as good as i think could be good ...{selling as a NYB}...thanks for the comments ...i guess i just had to hear it from someone other than myself... :wink:

Lightning can strike twice. If ANYONE ever gets a big runner and owns the factory, lightning will strike again in the sale ring. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with ALWAYS SELL full siblings to big runners. You will be money ahead.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

This brings to mind a mare named Doubles Lass. Look at her offspring with Bright Launch. Lightning?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 am

Lots of lightning Madelyn :D
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:20 am

off the subject a tad but lighting does tend to strick in the same place over and over. It seems to like well grounded [wet] trees in isolated areas. We lost some cows under that same tree twice one summer, before we took the tree down.

griff

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 am

griff wrote:off the subject a tad but lighting does tend to strick in the same place over and over. It seems to like well grounded [wet] trees in isolated areas. We lost some cows under that same tree twice one summer, before we took the tree down.

griff

True dat. We have a sandy hill in our woods where trees very close to one another have been lightning-struck repeatedly.

My late uncle's house has been hit by lightning at least 3 times since his family has lived there (about 60 years).
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 am

lightening rods do work.. Their sharp points "bleed" the charge so it never builds to a point that attracts lighten.

griff